Can we discuss Summer?

4 hours ago, Continental said:

As budgets will be tight for the next while, pedal power may be the way to go.

That is a great program. I've loved BA's band for over 20 years. I used to correspond with a guy who was a band parent and was in charge of props. He stayed on for years after his kids graduated, because he loved being part of it. He used to send me videos of the band. Just amazing!

• Like 1

I never marched or worked with a corps.

We're now in March.

I'm a logistics oriented person.

So I was wondering,at what point do corps normally have things like housing,transportation,food purchase contracts,volunteers,etc. in place for an upcoming season ?

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

We're now in March.

So I was wondering,at what point do corps normally have things like housing,transportation,food purchase contracts,volunteers,etc. in place for an upcoming season ?

Worked IT and databases at a Naval base that handled supply so have same mindset. Now at 5 1/2 months to go until mid August DCI “event”.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Usually, certain needs are worked on up until the season starts and sometimes while on tour like housing, food drops, completion of props/uniforms, etc.  Once a corps starts getting judged, comments made on tapes may create other needs by a corps or what instructional staff observe during rehearsals as well as shows.  Due to C19, it's going to be even harder to lock up housing if a decision is made to have some sort of a tour.

5 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

We're now in March.

Depends on the corps.  When I worked with Guardians, we'd be finalizing busses and still working on housing, and maybe have some volunteers in place (though that really dovetailed with getting members contracted, which we would still have been doing at this point as Open Class runs behind World Class).  We went and did our own food runs, so that would have to wait until we knew where housing would be.  

Mike

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MikeD said:

That is a great program. I've loved BA's band for over 20 years. I used to correspond with a guy who was a band parent and was in charge of props. He stayed on for years after his kids graduated, because he loved being part of it. He used to send me videos of the band. Just amazing!

Back in '18 our program director (Daniel Montoya, now with Madison - woot woot!) bought one of BA's go carts and brought it to a camp.  If nothing else, they were incredibly well built.  🙂

Mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

We're now in March.

If it were entirely up to corps, it would be as early as possible.  They want to lock up everything before ST even starts.  But there are always unanswered questions with TEPs and housing that creep right into the season.  It's definitely not what corps admins prefer -- it's just a reality DCI corps face every season.  

2 hours ago, karuna said:

If it were entirely up to corps, it would be as early as possible.  They want to lock up everything before ST even starts.  But there are always unanswered questions with TEPs and housing that creep right into the season.  It's definitely not what corps admins prefer -- it's just a reality DCI corps face every season.  

The year that finals were in College Park, Md., I was the tour director for Spirit of Atlanta, and housing was so difficult in the DC metro area that we didn't have finals week housing until about two hours AFTER our prelims performance. Not at all a dig at DCI, who was responsible for finding Championships housing for all the corps, but it's just the way it is in some areas. And that was two decades ago.

Music City has a Facebook post which has a preseason development from March 1-June 15, a virtual program from June 15-25, June 26-July 23 an intensive summer program, July 24-August 6 a Texas tour, and August 7-14 “on the road to Indy.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Music City has a Facebook post which has a preseason development from March 1-June 15, a virtual program from June 15-25, June 26-July 23 an intensive summer program, July 24-August 6 a Texas tour, and August 7-14 “on the road to Indy.”

I think this was from Genesis.  I find it hard to believe Music City would do Texas as their only regional tour.  And I can't find any mention of those dates on MCDC's FB page.  Here's Genesis' graphic: 156494480_265923178413253_5477992235194443248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=3&_nc_sid=aee45a&_nc_ohc=FaIMV0Uh27MAX9MuCh0&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=7&oh=14a4d9187444f260ff58e810a06a6d78&oe=6061AD79