Can we discuss Summer?

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

My guess would be if a state is allowing someone to give a vaccine, whether the person is a medical professional or not, the state would be the one liable if something goes wrong. Though you need proper training, learning to administer a shot is not that difficult. There is an art to giving a shot, especially if it is intravenous, no question, but it’s pretty basic.

For the medical folks here, what is the difference between giving a flu shot and giving a Covid shot. Thinking of the chain pharmacies that advertise shots for both. No idea who gives those shots as always go to my doctor.

Also noticed the PA Covid app is showing number of vaccinations  (1st dose and complete) by state and county. Long way to go but now have way to keep track which helps

Edited by JimF-LowBari

44 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For the medical folks here, what is the difference between giving a flu shot and giving a Covid shot. Thinking of the chain pharmacies that advertise shots for both. No idea who gives those shots as always go to my doctor.

Also noticed the PA Covid app is showing number of vaccinations  (1st dose and complete) by state and county. Long way to go but now have way to keep track which helps

both are given intramuscularly, so no different.

VERY simple procedure, the legal issues that prevent just anyone from giving injections include drawing up the incorrect dosage, incorrect preparation leading to infection at the injection site, and/or inserting the needle where it shouldn't be, like in to a vein, artery, tendon, or bone.

I will say the number of active and retired health care and public safety providers available everywhere, the trained labor pool is more than sufficient

I thought I’d share some interesting information from a friend who in most summers volunteers to help organize service projects for high school students. Usually the projects involve groups that work with organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, neighborhood clean up projects, assist at day camps for children in need or with disabilities. He and his wife just had a baby, so he’s not volunteering as much but has provided assistance for a group that is trying to do some projects. He is in the Pittsburg area. He said the problem is not finding schools for housing sites, but finding schools that will allow more than 25 participants including chaperones is difficult. The organization wants to bring together 125 students which including chaperones means six sites, and coming together for nightly gatherings to share experiences is essential, but the schools are not allowing the large gatherings either inside or outside. Another issue is showers. One district he spoke with would allow groups to stay at the high school, middle school, and elementary schools but only the middle and high school have locker rooms and a group staying at one school could not go inside another school. Given social distancing guidelines the 25 in a gym makes perfect sense and not allowing other groups in the school buildings make sense when it comes to sanitizing. 

With Texas and Mississippi all but ready to end all Covid restrictions, maybe schools will be available in some states, but I wonder if what my friend has discovered, if that will be the situation drum corps face.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

VERY simple procedure, the legal issues that prevent just anyone from giving injections include drawing up the incorrect dosage, incorrect preparation leading to infection at the injection site, and/or inserting the needle where it shouldn't be, like in to a vein, artery, tendon, or bone.

I will say the number of active and retired health care and public safety providers available everywhere, the trained labor pool is more than sufficient

Annnnd I forgot about your background D’OH! So logistics good on number of trained bodies. So effort would be on getting vaccines to the right places and those places having the trained vaccine givers ready when vaccines arrive.

Irony is watching movie and extras I just bought at Goodwill. M*A*S*H, talk about doing the best you can under very trying circumstances 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For the medical folks here, what is the difference between giving a flu shot and giving a Covid shot.

Zero.  Both are inter-muscular ("IM") into the arm (deltoid). 

* I'm not a medical person, but my wife is and I asked her. 

8 hours ago, JohnZ said:

I don't like needles, but if I could wear a blindfold I'd be willing to help administer the vaccines.  :tic:

5 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Zero.  Both are inter-muscular ("IM") into the arm (deltoid). 

* I'm not a medical person, but my wife is and I asked her. 

They are intramuscular, not inter-muscular. 

14 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I don't like needles, but if I could wear a blindfold I'd be willing to help administer the vaccines.  :tic:

Daughter (nurse) volunteers w. county health dept giving vaccines.   They have 2 people actually giving the shots but also have people doing check-in, paperwork, logistics etc., so you may be able to help yet maintain distance from needles.  

• Like 1