Plans to attend August event?

For me, coming to Indy rests on several factors.  It's not so easy when you are coming from out west.  There's the investment side of things that is not cheap for 2-3 family members that go (hotel, airfare, tickets, meals, car rental), job related responsibilities and having to take time off work and just looking at getting the best experience for what I invest.  For some of us western folks it's literally like planning for a vacation.  I support various corps through donations and I buy way too many souvies every year.  I just don't feel it will not be worth it for me to plan all of this to see an exhibition show.  I will continue to support in any way I can and may go see a show or two that happens out west here.  I will also watch on Flo if they do any broadcasts.  I look forward to 2022.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Supporting the drum corps helps though. 

there are other ways to support a corps besides going to a show, and i do support those i want to support. i do appreciate your advice however.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Not attended in 10 years was said previously. Laughing at the real world responsibilities comment which in my opinion was rude because they do not even know what type of responsibilities I might have. 

When I was pointed to the rules of the forums it does not mention if I can use the reaction emoji's. I have used them in the same way they were used in reaction to my post throughout the threads. Feel free to take a look. 

reading comprehension fails you. I said i've not attended events in Indy. That doesn't mean i have not gone to other shows ( in fact you see several reviews on this very site i have done of a little show in Allentown every August), i have helped with fees for countless members, paid for Flo and their myriad streaming issues, bought souvies, just donated because.....so really when you type broad generalizations like you have that have ZERO basis in actual fact, it speaks volumes. Not about me though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Laughing at the real world responsibilities comment which in my opinion was rude because they do not even know what type of responsibilities I might have. 

So Jeff brings up his responsibilities in his life and you take offense.... Just like I’ve brought up my life experiences in the past and you took issue with that smdh... Just because someone is talking about their life doesn’t mean they are downing yours...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

reading comprehension fails you. I said i've not attended events in Indy. That doesn't mean i have not gone to other shows ( in fact you see several reviews on this very site i have done of a little show in Allentown every August), i have helped with fees for countless members, paid for Flo and their myriad streaming issues, bought souvies, just donated because.....so really when you type broad generalizations like you have that have ZERO basis in actual fact, it speaks volumes. Not about me though.

Like you, I attend Allentown most years, I try to get to Indy, and I’ve been to Atlanta once. If I did not attend those shows, someone else would have purchased my seat and while I hope the people I sit with at shows would miss me, my absence would not be noticed by show organizers. Now a much smaller Open Class show that is held in the Boston area some years and in New Hampshire other years is a different story. Far fewer people attend. My purchase of a ticket, a program book, refreshments, 50/50 raffle tickets, and if souvenirs are being sold, souvenirs all make a difference and if I did not attend, my seat would not be filled.  I also find that many in attendance have not attended shows before and have answered questions about the various corps, how judging works, touring, drum corps past and present, and in some cases parents of potential marchers have asked me questions about what their sons/daughters might encounter. 

Donating to a corps, helping a kid march, buying souvenirs, attending shows hosted by local groups and the corps are more impactful ways of supporting a corps than attending Indy. Indy is great and attending is important, no question, but my major reason to attend is to watch the shows. By the time Indy rolls around, I’ve purchased all my souvenirs and money probably goes to concession stands.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

Donating to a corps, helping a kid march, buying souvenirs, attending shows hosted by local groups and the corps are more impactful ways of supporting a corps than attending Indy. Indy is great and attending is important, no question, but my major reason to attend is to watch the shows. By the time Indy rolls around, I’ve purchased all my souvenirs and money probably goes to concession stands.

Man wish I had the local show option anymore 😫.  Due to various reasons have not attended any shows in person for about 10 years. But have kicked in some dues $$$ to marchers needing help (kept eyes open on social media and had staff contact to help). Then got involved with a former rival when they restarted. They had interesting fundraisers. For certain dollar amounts you helped pay for meals, hydration, etc, etc on show days. On their FB page they would have corps members with signs saying “Thank you (name) for (what you paid for)” which was nice. Corps currently inactive but have some youth based groups and... well they have my address when fund raising and raffle time hits 😆. Yep lot of ways to support. Or is that $upport? One of these years I’ll win something in those #### raffles.  (Too bad Business Manager of the group no longer posts here to read the last line 😈)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

23 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So Jeff brings up his responsibilities in his life and you take offense.... Just like I’ve brought up my life experiences in the past and you took issue with that smdh... Just because someone is talking about their life doesn’t mean they are downing yours...

he likes to use smilie emojies to replies. it's ok, karma is fun to wait for

• Like 2
  • Haha 1