2021 Corps Size & Midwest Combine Rumors

2 hours ago, helmsm said:

Corps stay in their region all July and have regional championships end of July, and then everyone travels to Indy for World Championships in early August.

If this is how it goes, let's please not complain that so and so didn't compete this year, so there should be an asterisk in the final results.  You only have a chance to win when you show up.

4 hours ago, helmsm said:

Breaking up into regions is the best option. Corps stay in their region all July and have regional championships end of July, and then everyone travels to Indy for World Championships in early August.

In other words...the return of 1st and 2nd tour.

We did this in the 70s and 80s.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Post on DCP Facebook group says DCI is increasing Corps size limit, for 2021 only, to 165 marching members.  Ostensibly this is to allow all alternates to perform on the field as well.

Is there any truth to this, or is it an unfounded rumor?

The upside would be additional people get to perform; I  suppose if they are bringing alternates along anyway it won't add to bus/housing requirements.

And on Reddit there are allusions to a Midwest 'Combine', with Cavaliers, Phantom, Blue Stars, Colts, & perhaps others who will do day trips to performance locations, but return to home base for overnights.  That would simplify the housing issue.

I'm hearing that this is a likely scenario for corps in the Midwest from a couple people that are involved with corps in that region.  It follows the general travel concept that I heard about months ago from a board member at one of the corps.  

Also hearing that Roman was spotted in his garage dusting off old DCM cones... so take what you hear with a grain of salt.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, MikeN said:

This suggests that these corps are going to be full then?

Mike

Many of the corps had a large number of members contracted for 2020 when things came to a screeching halt.  Assuming a large chunk of those members were interested in participating in 2021 (especially if their money was tied up with a corps), my guess is wouldn't be too difficult to fill the remainder of the spots through virtual auditions/camps.

I also have to think that this temporary increase in members is intended to accommodate corps who have a lot of 2020 members participating, while still giving the opportunity for some new blood to come into the mix for 2021.  It helps with the recruiting continuity/cycle for years ahead.

17 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Post on DCP Facebook group says DCI is increasing Corps size limit, for 2021 only, to 165 marching members.  Ostensibly this is to allow all alternates to perform on the field as well.

Is there any truth to this, or is it an unfounded rumor?

The upside would be additional people get to perform; I  suppose if they are bringing alternates along anyway it won't add to bus/housing requirements.

And on Reddit there are allusions to a Midwest 'Combine', with Cavaliers, Phantom, Blue Stars, Colts, & perhaps others who will do day trips to performance locations, but return to home base for overnights.  That would simplify the housing issue.

the second part i have heard from well placed sources, and its every region

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

If this is how it goes, let's please not complain that so and so didn't compete this year, so there should be an asterisk in the final results.  You only have a chance to win when you show up.

DCI has already said nothing will be scored