Drum Corps World

I'm always impressed when I browse through Drum Corps World magazine. Lengthy articles, extensive interviews, deep knowledge of drum corps, and overall a lot of work by Steve Vickers and a long list of contributors. I'm also impressed (and surprised) it survives, especially in the same basic format and design for so many years.

Just curious about its relevance. How many here on DCP read it, at least somewhat? Does it have a readership base among current corps members and recent alumni?

• Like 3

Was looking through it when I got it on line but “real life” got in the way and stopped reading. Now that you mention it.... haven’t received a copy for quite a while???????

edit: just re-subscribed... now to check CDs 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

My guess is that a good number of people who post on DCP do read DCW. With some of the Facebook DCP comments that can be off the wall, I would think DCW readership is lower, and while Reddit users seem to be more knowledgeable about drum corps today than a historical perspective, I’m not sure there are as many DCW readers on Reddit. 

DCW has a good number of subscribers and with electronic magazines, there is a way to at least see if the magazine is opened. This is critical for keeping advertisers. I do not know if DCW uses this technology, but DCW has not lost many advertisers in the past year. While I do not know how many DCP users there are, my guess is that more DCW readers than DCP users. DCW sees its purpose as reporting on the activity rather than getting involved in the politics, and readers do appreciate reviews of shows that give a sense of the atmosphere, reactions of crowds, and of course the performance. Steve Vickers works hard to get a perspective from writers across the spectrum so you have both historical perspective and the enthusiasm of someone closer in age to the marchers. Efforts are also made so that those who review San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown, and Indy have seen live shows of as many of the corps as possible so that growth, changes, and improvements can be noted.

• Like 1

I still have a small collection of print copies from the 70s. Tabloid size newspapers. Heck, it used to be the only place you could see show scores, even if they were weeks after the shows. Incredible that Vickers has been going so long with its publication. 

5 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I still have a small collection of print copies from the 70s. Tabloid size newspapers. Heck, it used to be the only place you could see show scores, even if they were weeks after the shows. Incredible that Vickers has been going so long with its publication. 

I had copies of Drum Corps News which rotted over time and damp basements. Seemed that DCW covered the Junior side and DCN did the Senior. Now DCW covers it all and was helping to restore and sell old DC recordings (made Christmas shopping easy for me some years 😆).

Thanks, Jim. I knew DCW had a competitor way back then, but I couldn't remember the name of it. Come to think of it, maybe that collection I have is DCN. What did I have for breakfast this morning? 

5 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Thanks, Jim. I knew DCW had a competitor way back then, but I couldn't remember the name of it. Come to think of it, maybe that collection I have is DCN. What did I have for breakfast this morning? 

Lmao... did I have breakfast this morning??? speaking of Steve Vickers surprises.... one year had problems ordering a CD online so called the DCW phone number. Almost dropped the phone when Steve answered... 😳

I read it regularly.  Great electronic magazine.