Drum Corps World

11 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I'm always impressed when I browse through Drum Corps World magazine. Lengthy articles, extensive interviews, deep knowledge of drum corps, and overall a lot of work by Steve Vickers and a long list of contributors. I'm also impressed (and surprised) it survives, especially in the same basic format and design for so many years.

Just curious about its relevance. How many here on DCP read it, at least somewhat? Does it have a readership base among current corps members and recent alumni?

I not only read it, I contribute show reviews to it during the summer.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I still have a small collection of print copies from the 70s. Tabloid size newspapers. Heck, it used to be the only place you could see show scores, even if they were weeks after the shows. Incredible that Vickers has been going so long with its publication. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I had copies of Drum Corps News which rotted over time and damp basements. Seemed that DCW covered the Junior side and DCN did the Senior. Now DCW covers it all and was helping to restore and sell old DC recordings (made Christmas shopping easy for me some years 😆).

Years back I found that DCW was stronger with Midwest corps and shows, DCN was stronger with East Coast shows and corps, especially Massachusetts where it was published and New Jersey. I loved reading both. I do recall DCW being stronger with off season news and in slow months published the all photo issues.

Steve Vickers is able to keep it going due to his hard work and dedication. He also knows just about  everyone in the activity and remembers the people he meets. He is very helpful to show organizers. He also appreciates the writers who contribute to the publication and is very supportive.   

• Like 3

I actually have copies of REALLY OLD DCW's from back in the 1950's.  Before it was DCW it was called MidWest Drum Corps News.  I have a few of them also.

Quite revealing in the names of the movers and shakers of that era  (St Vincents Cadets, Blessed Sacrament, Holy Name Cadets, .St Joseps of Newark,  Audubon Bon Bons,  Most Precious Blood  (Boston) Crusaders, , Chicago Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Norwood Park Imperials, Archer Epler Musketeers, Reilly Raiders, Hawthorne Caballeros, Norman Prince, Skokie Indians, Stratford (Conn) Yankees among many more) and the  instructors of that era including Truman Crawford  (USAF Bolling AFB Corps) Jim Donnelly, Mickey Petrone, Sal Ferrara, Frank Bergdoll, , Earl Sturtz,  Frank Kubinak, Hy Dreitzer, and Jim Costello.

Great history lesson.

SAM

• Like 1

I've been a contributing writer to DCW at various times since 1983. I thank DCW publisher Steve Vickers for the opportunity!

• Like 4

On 3/10/2021 at 8:35 PM, Tim K said:

Years back I found that DCW was stronger with Midwest corps and shows, DCN was stronger with East Coast shows and corps, especially Massachusetts where it was published and New Jersey. I loved reading both. I do recall DCW being stronger with off season news and in slow months published the all photo issues.

Steve Vickers is able to keep it going due to his hard work and dedication. He also knows just about  everyone in the activity and remembers the people he meets. He is very helpful to show organizers. He also appreciates the writers who contribute to the publication and is very supportive.   

One of the things I remember most about DCN (Drum Corps News) back in the day was its "letters to the editor" page.  For a while... not sure if they eventually changed the policy.... the letters from readers were basically un-edited (except for profanity and things like that) and un-screened.... DCN didn't check to see if someone was using a fake name, or was writing stuff that wasn't even close to resembling the truth, or whatever. (And I confess... I know some folks who sent letters in under fake names.  🙂)  As a result, that page was like the Wild West.  All sorts of crazy stuff there. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was interviewed for an article in DCW back in the past. It was interesting and Mr. Vickers does a great job. 

Fran those letters from readers were a source of entertainment. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I'm always impressed when I browse through Drum Corps World magazine. Lengthy articles, extensive interviews, deep knowledge of drum corps, and overall a lot of work by Steve Vickers and a long list of contributors. I'm also impressed (and surprised) it survives, especially in the same basic format and design for so many years.

Just curious about its relevance. How many here on DCP read it, at least somewhat? Does it have a readership base among current corps members and recent alumni?

I do and still contribute something once in a while. Steve Vickers does a great job, and the switch to digital was very well done

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kevingamin said:

I not only read it, I contribute show reviews to it during the summer.

And the others here who write reviews: I'm impressed with those. They often bring in much more background and context, making for a rich read.

• Like 1