Drum Corps World

Wasn't sure what to expect. But glad to see so many user names I recognize responding that they follow DCW.

17 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

One of the things I remember most about DCN (Drum Corps News) back in the day was its "letters to the editor" page.  For a while... not sure if they eventually changed the policy.... the letters from readers were basically un-edited (except for profanity and things like that) and un-screened.... DCN didn't check to see if someone was using a fake name, or was writing stuff that wasn't even close to resembling the truth, or whatever. (And I confess... I know some folks who sent letters in under fake names. We would laugh out loud when we saw them published. 🙂)  As a result, that page was like the Wild West.  All sorts of crazy stuff there. 

Lmao... 40+ years later I still remember “tink tink marching bells” complaint in a letter. This was late 70s and corps had marching bells and drums had an “elevator drill” up and down the 50. Problem was the mics were on the front sideline and near 40 or 45 yard line. Whenever the drums would get close, the bells would REALLY cut through. DCA kept adjusting mic positions (mics in the back, mics up high, the horrible shotgun mic stuck in front of a soloist, etc). Never really helped. 🥵

DCN also would try humor at times with good results. 1975 Dream show was “Land That Time Forgot” with chief judge chasing dinosaurs. And some DCA Finals articles featuring a clueless aunt seeing her first show. All I remember is “they have an eerie (Erie) sound” Articles I wish I had saved...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

I go through each issue and read probably 1/3 of it.

I remeber one of the first things I looked for at shows way back when was where is DCW being sold.

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lmao... 40+ years later I still remember “tink tink marching bells” complaint in a letter. This was late 70s and corps had marching bells and drums had an “elevator drill” up and down the 50. Problem was the mics were on the front sideline and near 40 or 45 yard line. Whenever the drums would get close, the bells would REALLY cut through. DCA kept adjusting mic positions (mics in the back, mics up high, the horrible shotgun mic stuck in front of a soloist, etc). Never really helped. 🥵

DCN also would try humor at times with good results. 1975 Dream show was “Land That Time Forgot” with chief judge chasing dinosaurs. And some DCA Finals articles featuring a clueless aunt seeing her first show. All I remember is “they have an eerie (Erie) sound” Articles I wish I had saved...

One of the district DCN memories I have is the issue that followed 1978 DCI East. Blue Devils won but the writer was not pleased with the victory. Phantom’s Stravinsky opener was another source of his ire. Bridgemen and 27th did not get off easily either. He thought rules should be changed and corps should play marches and songs. He didn’t know what was happening to drum corps. Could you imagine today showing 1978 to kids on the field and considering it too radical? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2021 at 8:23 AM, mjoakes said:

I'm always impressed when I browse through Drum Corps World magazine. Lengthy articles, extensive interviews, deep knowledge of drum corps, and overall a lot of work by Steve Vickers and a long list of contributors. I'm also impressed (and surprised) it survives, especially in the same basic format and design for so many years.

Just curious about its relevance. How many here on DCP read it, at least somewhat? Does it have a readership base among current corps members and recent alumni?

I have a large box somewhere full of old DCW's. Pre internet and cell phone, there was nothing like waiting for the new DCW to arrive while on tour to see the scores and what was happening with other corps. 

don't forget you can go to www.drumcorpsworld.com  and it's free to subscribe. Steve is about to begin the 50th edition no less

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

don't forget you can go to www.drumcorpsworld.com  and it's free to subscribe. Steve is about to begin the 50th edition no less

Just resubscribed.... 😃

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just resubscribed.... 😃

Digital subscription: we maybe reducing postal* employees but we're saving a few trees. :spitting:

*USPS Priority package took 3 weeks to deliver over Christmas via Atlanta; should have arrived in 2 days...:whistle:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Digital subscription: we maybe reducing postal* employees but we're saving a few trees. :spitting:

*USPS Priority package took 3 weeks to deliver over Christmas via Atlanta; should have arrived in 2 days...:whistle:

Gotten local weekly “Shopper” newspapers a month late over the holidays. Sister has an online business and many complaints on items sent via USPS arriving very late. Irony is she used to be a letter carrier in my current town and has heard the complaints from the workers side. USPS workers might be happy DCW is one less thing to handle.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:41 PM, Tim K said:

One of the district DCN memories I have is the issue that followed 1978 DCI East. Blue Devils won but the writer was not pleased with the victory. Phantom’s Stravinsky opener was another source of his ire. Bridgemen and 27th did not get off easily either. He thought rules should be changed and corps should play marches and songs. He didn’t know what was happening to drum corps. Could you imagine today showing 1978 to kids on the field and considering it too radical? 

As a low brass guy, I am contractually obligated to point out the Sousa marches are an absolute blast to play.

• Like 1