Drum Corps World

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Gotten local weekly “Shopper” newspapers a month late over the holidays. Sister has an online business and many complaints on items sent via USPS arriving very late. Irony is she used to be a letter carrier in my current town and has heard the complaints from the workers side. USPS workers might be happy DCW is one less thing to handle.

Since we are off topic.

Here is a link to help with the USPS 

https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/file-online-complaint

Sorry to be off topic.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:41 PM, Tim K said:

One of the district DCN memories I have is the issue that followed 1978 DCI East. Blue Devils won but the writer was not pleased with the victory. Phantom’s Stravinsky opener was another source of his ire. Bridgemen and 27th did not get off easily either. He thought rules should be changed and corps should play marches and songs. He didn’t know what was happening to drum corps. Could you imagine today showing 1978 to kids on the field and considering it too radical? 

having written many show reviews, it's awfully tough to keep personal bias out of the write up. i would always let the real me come out on here, and i would sanitize what went to Steve to publish

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

having written many show reviews, it's awfully tough to keep personal bias out of the write up. i would always let the real me come out on here, and i would sanitize what went to Steve to publish

One of the reasons I do my live show posts on DCP is so I can use those posts as notes when I do my DCW review. Since my focus during the performance is on describing what’s happening, that carries over into my full review writing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

My biggest problem has been having to write reviews of similar shows which took place within one or two days of each other. In late June/early July there would be Beanpot, a BAC show, and Bristol, all with the same slate of corps. Fortunately the show atmospheres could be very different, especially Bristol which was later Cranston. It also helped that BAC’s show was a huge alumni event and Beanpot was practically a CYO/Eastern Mass./Mayflower circuits reunion where everyone knows everyone else.

While there have been shows that are not my favorites, there are only a few shows I’ve struggled with finding something positive. I find it can be challenging if I cover one of theAllentown nights and a show has either plateaued or lost steam. There was one show I found to be the most challenging. It was controversial to begin with and ended up being a hot mess at the end. 

i agreed to do DCA prelims in 2012...23 corps. way too many A class corps designing shows for way more bodies...and talent than they had. The good news for many of them is during the second rain break, i accidentally left my notes in the seats......and they got wet. enough came out to be legible 4 days later after drying, but i am pretty sure some brutally was never ever able to be read and transcribed.

I remember Ace Holleran would patrol the sidelines talking into a recorder.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 8:41 PM, Tim K said:

One of the district DCN memories I have is the issue that followed 1978 DCI East. Blue Devils won but the writer was not pleased with the victory. Phantom’s Stravinsky opener was another source of his ire. Bridgemen and 27th did not get off easily either. He thought rules should be changed and corps should play marches and songs. He didn’t know what was happening to drum corps. Could you imagine today showing 1978 to kids on the field and considering it too radical? 

Yeah.... DCN writers were not shy about sharing their opinions.   LOL

A story about that... 1980, the DCN publisher (Andy Uzarins, I think it was) covered the Boston Cup combo DCI/DCA show in Boston and basically tore us (DCA's Long Island Sunrisers) apart in his writeup.  1980 was a rebuilding year for us... coming off two straight DCA titles in 1977-78 and a third-place finish in '79 a bunch of veterans retired... and he seemed to take delight in the fact that we were crushed by the Hawthorne Caballeros by a wide margin at the Boston show. Cabs won, we were second.  Just the tone of his article.... it was like he went out of his way to tell us that we had no chance at winning a title in '80.

I was Sun's co-PR director in 1980.... so I and my PR partner sent a letter to him, telling him that hey, guess what.... we #### well knew at the start of the 1980 season that we were up against it, and that he could lay off belittling us. LOL.   

I don't remember if we ever heard back from him, and maybe we went "NYC metro area" on him a bit... LOL... but it felt good to get it off our chests.  :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

i don't remember life without DCW. I was 3 when he took over.

• Like 1