RIP Hughie Mahon

A very sad day for the Cadets...

From The Cadets FB page:

It is with deep sadness that The Cadets announce the passing of Hugh Mahon. Hughs legacy is deeply rooted in the Drum Corps activity.

Hugh started his drum corps career in the late 1950’s as a Drum Major for four different drum corps: Paterson Cadets (57-58), Skyliners (59), Garfield Cadets (60-61) and later the Hawthorne Caballeros (62-63).

He returned to the Cadets as a drill instructor in 1968. Two years later he became Director of the Corps for a three-year period (1969-1972), pushing the concept of “total theme shows” and the formation of the United Organization of Junior Corps (UOJC), which he sought to assist eastern corps in regaining national prominence.

Wanting more for the drum corps activity, Hugh contacted members of the Midwest Combine (which was the Midwest organization similar in scope to the UOJC) to work toward a common goal.

Elected as DCI’s first co-director and serving as the DCI Eastern Coordinator, Hugh later became a charter member of both the Cadets Hall of Fame (1984) and the DCI Hall of Fame (1985), recognized for initiating a new era of drum corps. He was also one of the organizers for the Bluegrass National Championships of Lexington, KY during the early days of DCI.

• Like 1

Hughie was director of the corps all three years I marched. He was a great guy and wonderful director, never content with standing still. He was key in developing the themed shows we had in 71 and 72.

In the fall of 1975, when I was writing the band show and working at Lenape Valley HS in Stanhope NJ, Hugh came out to teach marching and work visual, as well as with the guard. It was a very young program, as the school was only open a few years t that time. The kids loved him.

• Like 1

This man was a giant, and I leave it to others to list his accomplishments. But I owe a huge personal debt to Hugh Mahon. He gave me my first shot at the drum corps big time when he took a huge risk in the winter of 1970 and hired me as Garfield's arranger. That vote of confidence shaped the rest of my life.

He may have left us, but he'll never be gone from my heart.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

This man was a giant, and I leave it to others to list his accomplishments. But I owe a huge personal debt to Hugh Mahon. He gave me my first shot at the drum corps big time when he took a huge risk in the winter of 1970 and hired me as Garfield's arranger. That vote of confidence shaped the rest of my life.

He may have left us, but he'll never be gone from my heart.

I recall hearing the swing baritone lead of "Yankee Doodle" from what would be the end of the opener at the AL post in Garfield and thinking how cool our show was going to be. And then George Tuthill showed me the triple part...loved it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh & Dave gave us a great touring experience in '71 & '72. We had more free time than we deserved. Niagara Falls, Miami Seaquarium, Miami University pool, St. Louis Arch, downtown Toronto, 6 Flags Over Georgia, Toronto production of Godspell, and some on the road housing with other corps and bands like 27th. 

Thanks for everything, Hughie!

-John Tyburczy-

• Like 1