So...Will There Be A 2021 Season?

And then there are the recruiting issues. It has to be hard to fill out a corps when so much is in the air, and the season (if it happens) will be so short and still expensive. I can see that a lot of vets will decide a handful of shows just doesn’t measure up to a 25-30 show season, especially if the shows are exhibition only. On Bluecoats’ home page, they were showing about 30 available  spots for brass and percussion alone as of March 18. If Bloo is having recruiting issues, I can only imagine how other corps are doing.

• Thanks 1

Someone ---it depends on conditions on the ground. If that is the case then DCI should tour Florida / Georgia / Alabama / Mississippi / Louisiana / Texas. Those states are at 56% or above for in person learning. Some at 100% and other real high up on the percentages. Just stick to the south where the conditions on the ground are open. Only go to Indy for the 3 days. 

Edited by O'Neal's
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Someone says it depends on conditions on the ground. If that is the case then DCI should tour Florida / Georgia / Alabama / Mississippi / Louisiana / Texas. Those states are at 56% or above for in person learning. Some at 100% and other real high up on the percentages. Just stick to the south where the conditions on the ground are open. Only go to Indy for the 3 days. 

Those states may be open.

But,they are,to be polite,a bit "toasty" and humid in July.

I think we as a country will all wind up at the same place with openings at some point, perhaps 4th of July?... the vaccine efforts are everywhere and moving forward and increasingly including more individuals. I am totally perplexed by NJ and the increased cases and the fact we are the most restricted as far as openings and mask mandates and have 30% vaccinated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

Someone says it depends on conditions on the ground. If that is the case then DCI should tour Florida / Georgia / Alabama / Mississippi / Louisiana / Texas. Those states are at 56% or above for in person learning. Some at 100% and other real high up on the percentages. Just stick to the south where the conditions on the ground are open. Only go to Indy for the 3 days. 

Problem is that these are relatively far from many Corps bases (i.e., midwestern & western Corps); the ‘out & back’ model wouldn’t work for them.  Which means housing would be needed, which adds cost.  A 2021 season is not worth the bankruptcy of DCI or several Corps.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You know, I started my drum corps career marching with the Iron Brigade. They folded right after I left for the St. Clair Shores Vanguards. Next year, they folded. Next I went to the Windsor Guardsmen. I marched two seasons with them. The year after I was drum major, they folded. I then marched with the Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders, who eventually folded. Finally, I marched with 27th Lancers, who, of course, ultimately folded.

I took five months off from posting on DCP and within 36 hours of my return to the boards three threads closed, including one that completely disappeared. 

I have detected a pattern. 

Oh, I’m sure it’s just a coincid 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There has to be some date by which DCI needs to make some concrete decisions, as members need to make travel reservations to ST, bus contracts need signing, etc etc.

Members are generally going to “spring training” regardless of what DCI does.  (Most) corps are forming, training and doing something regardless I believe.  Unless something has recently changed, For example, there is an East corps that isn’t going to Indy, probably isn’t doing any touring (tbd but not currently planned), but is still putting together a corps.  They have something planned but since I don’t know how much they’ve wanted to make public yet, I’ll leave it at that.  I’d be surprised if any corps was to enter the normal bus contract but rather just book them for specific dates.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And then there are the recruiting issues. It has to be hard to fill out a corps when so much is in the air, and the season (if it happens) will be so short and still expensive. I can see that a lot of vets will decide a handful of shows just doesn’t measure up to a 25-30 show season, especially if the shows are exhibition only. On Bluecoats’ home page, they were showing about 30 available  spots for brass and percussion alone as of March 18. If Bloo is having recruiting issues, I can only imagine how other corps are doing.

I could see there would be less people auditioning this year, but Bloo just fully opened up auditions, as some other corps have also only recently done.  I’m not sure it’s a good indicator of issues at this point.  I know about another top 6 corps that started earlier and filled out its percussion group pretty quickly.

7 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Those states may be open.

But,they are,to be polite,a bit "toasty" and humid in July.

Tour goes through those states every year. Should not be a problem no? 

It is a loss to lose a show like Allentown and many others in PA but most of the people who live there in that state appear to be ok with no tour this year so why should anyone care if it ever gets back there? 

I get the feeling logistical obstacles being tossed out are due to the lack of enthusiasm on those who do the throwing. 

7 hours ago, darlacorp said:

I think we as a country will all wind up at the same place with openings at some point, perhaps 4th of July?... the vaccine efforts are everywhere and moving forward and increasingly including more individuals. I am totally perplexed by NJ and the increased cases and the fact we are the most restricted as far as openings and mask mandates and have 30% vaccinated. 

Wonderful news about the percentage vaccinated. Tip toe around here with math though, as it is something that can light a fuse on an atomic bomb here  it seems. 🙂

• Haha 1