So...Will There Be A 2021 Season?

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

How dare you post logical, well-thought-out opinions on DCP!!!

In that past long while I've seen many well thought-out posts.  

The fact that some view them as abject negativity puzzles me.  It's as if the people who respond want to make others believe that other opinions have a magical say in how the coming months will progress.  

Edited by Continental
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think there are many people, including myself, on DCP who have grave concerns about the current state of drum corps that need to be addressed. And many of those concerns are being addressed. However, our concern is a reflection of our passion and love of the activity. We want drum corps to be all that it can be ... a positive, transformational experience for all MMs. Just because we acknowledge that there are problems that need to be overcome, whether it is for the upcoming hypothetical season or beyond, doesn’t mean we want drum corps to die. It means we want a healthy activity. Financially, artistically and most importantly, safely. 

Grave concerns? Schools for those locations I have mentioned previously are either over half in person or fully in person all this school year. More than one source says that these age groups are not the super spreader events that was previously feared last year this time. Now we have a vaccine that the staff will have access to.

I don't understand the grave concern statement considering the information we now have. As an example the Infection Fatality rate for 18-29 year old age group is extremely low. For the entire time this pandemic statistics 1,916 have passed away from Covid n the 18-29 age range and 238 for the 0-17 age range. In the same time frame car accidents and drowning has claimed many more lives. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

Grave concerns? Schools for those locations I have mentioned previously are either over half in person or fully in person all this school year. More than one source says that these age groups are not the super spreader events that was previously feared last year this time. Now we have a vaccine that the staff will have access to.

I don't understand the grave concern statement considering the information we now have. As an example the Infection Fatality rate for 18-29 year old age group is extremely low. For the entire time this pandemic statistics 1,916 have passed away from Covid n the 18-29 age range and 238 for the 0-17 age range. In the same time frame car accidents and drowning has claimed many more lives. 

OK, so we are going to sell the 2021 season to skeptical parents that 'This is safe for your kid; there have been less that 2,000 fatal cases in your child's age group'.  Same issue with school officials requesting housing (for a non-local group) - 'Let us stay at your school - if we leave any Covid virus behind it is unlikely that any of your students will die from it'.

If they can pull this off & not bankrupt anyone, all power to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

Covid-19 is only one concern drum corps is dealing with. There is also the financial health of the activity, which in even good times is precarious. There is the member safety issues that have plagued the activity that have been brought to light in recent years, including sexual harassment, dietary deficiencies and medical treatment. And there is the arms race in A&E and props, etc. Obtaining Housing and performance venues were increasingly difficult to procure even before the virus hit and now are ten times as difficult to lock down. All these issues and more constitute grave issues confronting drum corps today.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 2

This is GREAT news!!!  I can't wait for the season to start! Three shows on three consecutive nights in the Boston area followed by an Allentown show that Saturday.  This is better than I dared to hope for!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

OK, so we are going to sell the 2021 season to skeptical parents that 'This is safe for your kid; there have been less that 2,000 fatal cases in your child's age group'.  Same issue with school officials requesting housing (for a non-local group) - 'Let us stay at your school - if we leave any Covid virus behind it is unlikely that any of your students will die from it'.

If they can pull this off & not bankrupt anyone, all power to them.

There are skeptical parents and then there are parents who's kids have been going to school all year. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Covid-19 is only one concern drum corps is dealing with. There is also the financial health of the activity, which in even good times is precarious. There is the member safety issues that have plagued the activity that have been brought to light in recent years, including sexual harassment, dietary deficiencies and medical treatment. And there is the arms race in A&E and props, etc. All these issues and more constitute grave issues confronting drum corps today.

So as you say there were issues previous to and separate from covid. That was facing DCI before Covid. My point is that Covid is not the threat it was perceived to be last year this time. 

Some great news today with the schedule. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1