So...Will There Be A 2021 Season?

10 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I wasn't throwing "anyone under the bus".  What gets to me is we can't talk about any exterior factors that have an effect on the Drum Corps activity. 🤔

Your history proves you never throw anyone "under the bus."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Don't assume that the world is the same, fiscally, for all organizations. The midwest corps have a tendency to be the most fiscally conservative, and if they think they can do a regional show season without bankrupting themselves, I'd tend to assume they know what they're doing.

California isn't Illinois or Ohio when it comes to getting to Indy.

As Mr. Ream posted, "conditions on the ground" are going to determine if there is a 2021 season.

We're almost in April.

Maybe DCI is providing the corps with a lot more information then has been made public.

But, from what's been put out, including the limited information from DCI, a lot of things remain "up in the air",

including things like housing, transportation, attendance restrictions, you name it.

There has been a lot of "guessing" about possible regional shows, shorter programs, etc.

About the only thing that's "concrete" ,is some type of three day event in Indy.

In my opinion, given the current situation around the Country, if you want to try an plan for a season, you

have to assume, worst case, namely, things stay the same.

They improve, great, but at least you have a starting point to know, if things don't improve  if/how to 

proceed.

You have to provide fans with enough time to decide, if they are allowed to attend shows, are they comfortable

being in and crowd.

And, if they are, give them enough time to make travel arrangements.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

DCI is supposed to announce plans on March 31st. I’m thinking we will get more highlights of what to expect rather than specifics. It’s possible DCI does not yet know specifics. They may not know for certain how many tickets can be sold for Indy and other venues. Some corps may still be on the fence. Downtown Indy in August is not exactly a vacation hotspot (though it can be a hot spot....ha ha ha😊) so there will have to be other ways for people to entertained other than the shows high involves planning and commitment. So for Wednesday  I’m not expecting more than come join us, it will be fun. 

There has to be some date by which DCI needs to make some concrete decisions, as members need to make travel reservations to ST, bus contracts need signing, etc etc.

IDK what this date is, but it is getting closer every day.  I really hope DCI & Corps Directors has a date circled on the calendar.  And I hope if it turns out to be a no-go, that they announce immediately.  Bad news never ages well.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

This type of forums are 'dying off' to the other social media formats.  I would think the owners would welcome more traffic to sell more ads.  Maybe it doesn't have a normal business model to generate revenue?  Never mind me, I was just speculating.  Now, back to Drum Corps; can't wait for any events this summer! 

32 minutes ago, Continental said:

The ones who keep this site alive for the current period.

Not that the owners need contribution, but I suspect they need members to remember it still exists. 

I don't mean to put words in JohnD's mouth, but I can pretty much assure you DCP is solely a labor of love for him - I can't imagine he's actually making money off of this.  🙂  

Mike

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MikeN said:

I don't mean to put words in JohnD's mouth, but I can pretty much assure you DCP is solely a labor of love for him - I can't imagine he's actually making money off of this.  🙂  

Mike

I have no doubt. 

Edit: I should clarify that I mean I have no doubt it's a labor of love for him. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I think the better questions would be "how long before this thread is closed".  :whistle: :spitting:

#MarchOn 

You know, I started my drum corps career marching with the Iron Brigade. They folded right after I left for the St. Clair Shores Vanguards. Next year, they folded. Next I went to the Windsor Guardsmen. I marched two seasons with them. The year after I was drum major, they folded. I then marched with the Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders, who eventually folded. Finally, I marched with 27th Lancers, who, of course, ultimately folded.

I took five months off from posting on DCP and within 36 hours of my return to the boards three threads closed, including one that completely disappeared. 

I have detected a pattern. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There has to be some date by which DCI needs to make some concrete decisions, as members need to make travel reservations to ST, bus contracts need signing, etc etc.

IDK what this date is, but it is getting closer every day.  I really hope DCI & Corps Directors has a date circled on the calendar.  And I hope if it turns out to be a no-go, that they announce immediately.  Bad news never ages well.

I would think things need to be locked in no later than April 30 for most corps. But that’s just an educated guess.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You know, I started my drum corps career marching with the Iron Brigade. They folded right after I left for the St. Clair Shores Vanguards. Next year, they folded. Next I went to the Windsor Guardsmen. I marched two seasons with them. The year after I was drum major, they folded. I then marched with the Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders, who eventually folded. Finally, I marched with 27th Lancers, who, of course, ultimately folded.

I took five months off from posting on DCP and within 36 hours of my return to the boards three threads closed.

I have detected a pattern. 

I appreciate that you are seeing closed threads somehow in correlation with your not being on this forum and your life experience/return, yet suffice to say, there have been a heck of a lot more closed threads in your absence that have nothing related. 

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I would think things need to be locked in no later than April 30 for most corps. But that’s just an educated guess.

I think that is a reasonable date.  What I fear is DCI will keep kicking the decision out to the point were members are already at spring training & then announce 'sorry, but no-go for season'.

Or worse, have Corps on the road & then face a situation where venues cancel at last minute.

• Thanks 1