So...Will There Be A 2021 Season?

30 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Wonderful news about the percentage vaccinated. Tip toe around here with math though, as it is something that can light a fuse on an atomic bomb here  it seems. 🙂

Atomic bombs don't have fuses like those used by Wylie Coyote. 

Edited by Continental

33 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Tour goes through those states every year. Should not be a problem no? 

It is a loss to lose a show like Allentown and many others in PA but most of the people who live there in that state appear to be ok with no tour this year so why should anyone care if it ever gets back there? 

I get the feeling logistical obstacles being tossed out are due to the lack of enthusiasm on those who do the throwing. 

Funny, many of the "logistical obstacles" that have been presented over the past many months have come from those who have actually worked with setting up a tour.  It's almost like they have first hand experience with it.  

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Continental said:

Funny, many of the "logistical obstacles" that have been presented over the past many months have come from those who have actually worked with setting up a tour.  It's almost like they have first hand experience with it.  

That means you believe they have or you know they have? I'm not into asking personal detailed info,,,,,,,, so I guess you can believe who you must. When I have asked someone questions they blew up. 

In my opinion, some here don't want any drum corps at all. It makes me so sad for them. 

10 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

That means you believe they have or you know they have? I'm not into asking personal detailed info,,,,,,,, so I guess you can believe who you must. When I have asked someone questions they blew up. 

In my opinion, some here don't want any drum corps at all. It makes me so sad for them. 

DCP has had contributors from many aspects of the activity over the years.  Some of those contributors still post on the forums.  You learn a lot of behind the scenes stuff by reading what they post.  

I do not understand how you feel that presenting a counter argument in these challenging times means people don't want drum corps at all.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

I think there are many people, including myself, on DCP who have grave concerns about the current state of drum corps that need to be addressed. And many of those concerns are being addressed. However, our concern is a reflection of our passion and love of the activity. We want drum corps to be all that it can be ... a positive, transformational experience for all MMs. Just because we acknowledge that there are problems that need to be overcome, whether it is for the upcoming hypothetical season or beyond, doesn’t mean we want drum corps to die. It means we want a healthy activity. Financially, artistically and most importantly, safely. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I do some occasional part time work with an events company and we just had a conference scheduled for Sept canceled, And our attendees stay in hotels, not high school gyms and don't spend real long times in crowded busses. Though most would have flown.   The events company still has some events tenatively scheduled for July and August but I am not that sure how solid they are.  I think that with the money the companies need to lay out for a big meeting they are  not all that confident everything will be better  by then. And I guess they can do the actual business online they just miss the fun team building stuff that costs money and makes people want to come to the conventions.        I still havn't bought a plane ticket to Indy.

For a corps to decide to either participate or in the 2021 season is pragmatic and can be different for each corps even if the goal, a stronger 2022 season, is the same. Unless there is a huge shake up at Blue Devils, BD can sit out the season and most likely will still attract the top talent. SCV who is often in lockstep with BD may be sitting out the season, but their finances have been more precarious. What will most likely be an exhibition tour would not be in their best interest.

For Cavies who are close to regaining their prominence and BAC who are making steady progress, this could be a season where they hook top talent who would otherwise march with maybe BD and potentially keep the talent. I’m thinking two seasons off could kill Cadets and Phantom. Phantom has lost a lot of ground and Cadets are still facing a huge uphill climb. A good, solid experience where camaraderie is established could mean survival. It could also be a financial gamble. 

For OC, as I’ve said before, there are so many minors involved which requires parental permission, this makes their situation different. If I had a teenaged son or daughter, would we attend shows? Probably. Would I allow him/her to march? No. If the teen was in college and living in a dorm most of the year? It would be a different matter.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Tim K said:

For a corps to decide to either participate or in the 2021 season is pragmatic and can be different for each corps even if the goal, a stronger 2022 season, is the same. Unless there is a huge shake up at Blue Devils, BD can sit out the season and most likely will still attract the top talent. SCV who is often in lockstep with BD may be sitting out the season, but their finances have been more precarious. What will most likely be an exhibition tour would not be in their best interest.

For Cavies who are close to regaining their prominence and BAC who are making steady progress, this could be a season where they hook top talent who would otherwise march with maybe BD and potentially keep the talent. I’m thinking two seasons off could kill Cadets and Phantom. Phantom has lost a lot of ground and Cadets are still facing a huge uphill climb. A good, solid experience where camaraderie is established could mean survival. It could also be a financial gamble. 

For OC, as I’ve said before, there are so many minors involved which requires parental permission, this makes their situation different. If I had a teenaged son or daughter, would we attend shows? Probably. Would I allow him/her to march? No. If the teen was in college and living in a dorm most of the year? It would be a different matter.  

How dare you post logical, well-thought-out opinions on DCP!!!

• Haha 2