2021 Midwest Combine

As I’ve never been to LaCrosse, I’ve gone ahead and purchased round trip tickets on Greyhound, Chicago to LaCrosse for July 30. 

There’s a change of busses in Milwaukee. I’d then bus back from LaCrosse to Chicago early afternoon on July 31. A decent fare: $52 round trip.

I’ve also made motel reservations for LaCrosse for the night of July 30.  An affordable $65.

Though a definite date, schedule, and venue have not been announced, at least I’ll welcome new memories that weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeanInChicago said:

As I’ve never been to LaCrosse, I’ve gone ahead and purchased round trip tickets on Greyhound, Chicago to LaCrosse for July 30. 

There’s a change of busses in Milwaukee. I’d then bus back from LaCrosse to Chicago early afternoon on July 31. A decent fare: $52 round trip.

I’ve also made motel reservations for LaCrosse for the night of July 30.  An affordable $65.

Though a definite date, schedule, and venue have not been announced, at least I’ll welcome new memories that weekend.

If you have time during your Milwaukee layover the Public Market and Third Ward are right there. The lakefront and art museum at within walking distance or The Hop is free and does a loop around downtown attractions. The public ambassadors will be out in force by then and will be more than happy to give directions and recommendations. Check out the new (old) symphony center on Wisconsin Ave. It’s a gorgeous Art Deco theater from the ‘20s that has been repurposed into a concert venue. 

• Like 1

Brian, thanks for the ideas. For the July 30 DCI trip, it’s a quick change of busses at the bus/train station, plus I’ve always enjoyed Milwaukee on past visits.

I miss the former Circus Parades and Pabst Brewery Tours, yet I’ve recently enjoyed the Liberace tribute show at the cabaret theatre, free city bus rides on St Patty’s Day, movies at the Oriental, and visiting the oversized barber shoppe with its Milwaukee Bucks floor.

I have a dollar-each-way Megabus day trip planned for July 17, Chicago to Milwaukee.

But also looking toward to what is hopefully a July 30 Midwest Combine show in LaCrosse.

• Like 1

I see the show that was originally scheduled for Rockford on August 6 has been moved to DeKalb.  That looks like the only "large" venue for the Midwest combine. 

Looks like I am planning a week and a half drive to the Midwest from Virginia.  Get the DeKalb, Lisle and Cedarburg shows.  Then I will hit the Wisconsin State Fair (CREAM PUFFS!!!!!!!!!!!) for a couple days before I head to Wrigley for a Brewers game against the Scrubs and off to Indy for a good weekend before I drive back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Poppycock said:

So if you see one combine show at a venue there’s no need to see any others because they’re all the same organizations at every venue. 

IMO it doesn't matter if there are the same corps at every venue.

It's the feel of the brass sound as I sit in the stands that would make me attend.  That sound that goes up and down your spine as you watch all the great visuals.  

I have been on corps show tours before where it was the same corps.  One corps suddenly comes out and blows everyone away because they are so "on" that night.  At another venue it's another corps turn. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Continental said:

IMO it doesn't matter if there are the same corps at every venue.

It's the feel of the brass sound as I sit in the stands that would make me attend.  That sound that goes up and down your spine as you watch all the great visuals.  

I have been on corps show tours before where it was the same corps.  One corps suddenly comes out and blows everyone away because they are so "on" that night.  At another venue it's another corps turn. 

And 'clean' diddles...:babies:

• Like 1