So BD and SCV are not competing in 2021?

Jurassic Lancer

just posted a compaison

Let’s see ... $1750 for Switzerland or $3500+ for Indianapolis ... 🤔 

A 3 week trip to Switzerland for  $1750 vs $3500 + for Indianapolis plus a 2022 contract spot for 2022. What a Deal!

It's sad for the regular age outs that would have been in line for a spot but hey, Covid has changed everything for everybody.

• Like 2

Checking In From The West Coast

Analyzing the Latest News From VMAPA, SCV has no official announcements regarding 2021 beyond "more" fundraising activites, Introducing the 2021 Vanguard Hall of Fame ClassTicket’s for Vanguard’s Virtual Birthday Dinner now available!, Executive Team 2020 Year-End LetterVMAPA Announces 2021 Board of Directors Leadership, and various virtual clips.

Further, VMAPA has adopted a "political position" in the current political climate which I personally do not like.

The activity Drum Corps's evolved from an era of patriotism by The American Legion and The Veterans of Foreign Wars along with various Church sponsorships. I do not like that 501C3 youth sponsor ships have to interject or be part of the "Me Too" movement and become political. They should just remain "neutral" and stay out of politics and do what they do best; prorvide programs for youth.

• Thanks 5

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Let’s see ... $1750 for Switzerland or $3500+ for Indianapolis ... 🤔 

So you're saying the corps traveling to Indianapolis in an abbreviated non-competitive season are still charging $3,500?  I don't think that's right either, but I still applaud the effort and appreciate the attempt to keep the activity alive when it's living off fumes.

Hopefully, there will be an activity for BD and SCV to come back to in 2022.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

So you're saying the corps traveling to Indianapolis in an abbreviated non-competitive season are still charging $3,500?  I don't think that's right either, but I still applaud the effort and appreciate the attempt to keep the activity alive when it's living off fumes.

Ask around ... I think it’s pretty accurate

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

I do not like that 501C3 youth sponsor ships have to interject or be part of the "Me Too" movement and become political. They should just remain "neutral" and stay out of politics and do what they do best; prorvide programs for youth.

You should go back and read how many corps publicly supported BLM in this form. Just saying! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

For the past month, I have received information in the mail and calls from travel agents about organizing trips to Europe for next summer (2022). The rates are comparable to the mid 1990’s. Most rates do not include airfare but we’re talking seven days in reasonably good hotels with breakfast and at least one other meal for about $1,000. The goal is to reinvigorate the tourist economy, so the rates won’t last forever, but it is conceivable that a trip to Switzerland costs less than going to Indy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

For the past month, I have received information in the mail and calls from travel agents about organizing trips to Europe for next summer (2022). The rates are comparable to the mid 1990’s. Most rates do not include airfare but we’re talking seven days in reasonably good hotels with breakfast and at least one other meal for about $1,000. The goal is to reinvigorate the tourist economy, so the rates won’t last forever, but it is conceivable that a trip to Switzerland costs less than going to Indy. 

Here's a comparison of pricing in Switzerland vs the U.S.

Some things are cheaper actually - like beer!  The beer I had in Lengnau was some of the best I have ever tasted. 

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Switzerland/United-States/Cost-of-living

Also, some things about Swiss culture are quite different.  For example, they frown upon those who have loud phone conversations in public.  That I like. 

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Here's a comparison of pricing in Switzerland vs the U.S.

Some things are cheaper actually - like beer!  The beer I had in Lengnau was some of the best I have ever tasted. 

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Switzerland/United-States/Cost-of-living

Also, some things about Swiss culture are quite different.  For example, they frown upon those who have loud phone conversations in public.  That I like. 

Bubba J approves this post:

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Fees of about $3,500 seems to be par for the course in 2021

Doing a bit of math - the 'Midwest Combine' has 7 performance (or 9 if 3 nights of Indy = 3 performances) over 3 weeks.  

$3,500 for 7 performances + the members paying $500 for each opportunity to perform) ($389/performance if it is 9 total performances).

If we look at it on a per-day basis, 6 weeks (1 July-14 Aug) is 42 days = $83/day, all inclusive.

Blue Devils Swiss trip of 21 days for $1750 is also $83/day, all inclusive (is 'spring training included in the 21 days or is that separate?).

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english