What will corps do at the shows?

11 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Electronics are not a crutch they enhance the show. Sounds so nice with the electronics blended in with the horns and percussion. Not surprised some here do not like the electronics. 

well no. Some electronics do enhance shows. Some usage is a crutch. Just as holds with body enhance the shows. Sometimes is a crutch. Many design tools are both...it's how they are applied in the larger picture.

speaking in generalities usually causes problems. I'm far from a grumpy old man telling people to get off my lawn.

Edited by Jeff Ream

11 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm not sure that's what he was saying. I took it to mean the electronics would be more prevalent than in the past to compensate (perhaps not the right word) for corps' shortened time to prepare their production designs. The point made previously that 2021 shows are not going to be in the same qualitative measure as 2019 is likely a valid assessment. 

If the surprised comment was directed at old school DCPers, you'd probably be more surprised at the number of us who not only agree with you on the enhancement of electronics, but fully embrace them. 

thats a dominating summation thank you.

and for the record, i do enjoy good usage of electronics. i also think the judging community is way too kind to poor usage in terms of balance and how it fits the big picture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

At some point we will see a Corps use 10-15 brass, all amped& in pit. Also small, amped battery in pit.  And 100 guard as only performers on the field.  
Perhaps this is the year.  

This is the very same argument that occurred when we moved from 'Old School' drum corps to the 'New'. We have all been the frogs in 'boiling water' while the changes have already taken place  around us. It's the evolution of the drum corps activity from what we grew up with, what we learned, what we knew and enjoyed progressing to the "NEW" in the spirit of competition and competition breeds ideas and change in the pursuit "To Win".

We already saw what a staged drum corps could do in the musical presentation "BLAST" in 2000. Is it any wonder that we would not see significant changes in the seasons/years ahead. Blue Devils already used a Tuba and violin in last season's BD title. Why not other other instruments? I don't like the transition to other instruments beyond brass and percussion that has evolved, but that train has left the tracks and gone long ago. At least, if it is to be done, I want it to be done well and with class.

While I still don't like the changes, the show designers will continue to strive to use all the particular instruments used in a piece of music; in the manner in which a piece is arranged for the instruments to produce the most effective, most realistic sound, and finally, the winning score. I miss that G-F bugle sound going to the Bb trumpet sound, it's not the same and will never be but, the Bb is now and it's what is used to compete now to win.

My critique of amplified sound to date is: few corps know how to use it effectively. You have corps with arrangers with little or no experience arranging for the front pit and the the amplification ends up in excess and in the wrong places or just plain overbearing. "The Commandant's Own" The United States Marine Drum & Bugle Corps still do a current drum corps show as we recognize it with amplification and they maintain a proper balance to produce what we recognize as the  new "Drum Corps" sound.

What is required is for the front pit arrangers/show designers to have more music backround in arranging as they add a significant part to the total sound that we hear. And while we're talking about the the performance/show. We have already had a taste of props, smoke, lights, tents with uniform changes, tents with performers appearing and disappearing, movements depicting stories and more.

With all that has happened, is it not any wonder that we will see "Drum Corps" evolve to become more like "Musical Stage" acts like the top touring musical acts that are touring internationally and here in the USA.

Like it or not, change is ahead and the past will never be.

9 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Like it or not, change is ahead and the past will never be.

This activity has continued to evolve slowly and gradually, but does evolve mean to get better? From purely a design standpoint we have seen some incredible productions from every era too. Yet for a multitude of reasons many no longer have the same passion or interest and have stepped away. When I read about woodwinds instruments being used or "Drum Corps" evolve to become more like "Musical Stage" acts, I'm left to consider “whether” or “if" I have the stomach for any of this anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

This activity has continued to evolve slowly and gradually, but does evolve mean to get better? From purely a design standpoint we have seen some incredible productions from every era too. Yet for a multitude of reasons many no longer have the same passion or interest and have stepped away. When I read about woodwinds instruments being used or "Drum Corps" evolve to become more like "Musical Stage" acts, I'm left to consider “whether” or “if" I have the stomach for any of this anymore.

I have not heard anyone auditioning for woodwinds. That would diminish the shows in my opinion. Woodwinds have no place in the marching arts in my opinion. I have to agree with you on your statement for woodwinds and music stage acts. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

I have not heard anyone auditioning for woodwinds. That would diminish the shows in my opinion. Woodwinds have no place in the marching arts in my opinion. I have to agree with you on your statement for woodwinds and music stage acts. 

better talk to some directors who think it's needed to survive

• Sad 2

In my opinion. Woodwinds have no place in the marching arts if we are are debating/discussing "Drum Corps"/ and traditional Drum & Bugle Corps type shows (which have been primarily brass and percussion) but as I eluded to in a previous post, I foresee the forces driving this change have already happened (and the genie cannot be put back into the bottle".

In the pursuit of winning, arrangers and design staffs have and will continue to develop show themes which dictate the sound to be scored by the arrangers which could include woodwinds to add to that additional sound dimension. There are those who will argue that this would greatly enhance the ensemble's sound. I know there will be those who will disagree both 'Old School" & 'New". But, we are seeing the transformation of competitive "Drum Corps" as we know it now, progressing yet again to a newer format which will be more musical, more entertaining, and encompassing and probably the basic skeleton of a drum corps show like "Blast" from 2000 or the performances that are performed by,

Black Dyke Band - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dyke_Band

or

Top Secret Drum Corps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Secret_Drum_Corps

Top Secret Drum Corps,a drum corps based in Basel, Switzerland. With 25 drummers and color guard section, the corps became famous for its demanding six-minute routine performed at the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo in 2003.

It's clear that the current competing units have long been moving towards a more musical, more theatrical type show with props, music, instrumentation, etc.

Will the 'Next Generation of Drum Corps Performances' be accepted of rejected?

On 4/5/2021 at 9:13 AM, Poppycock said:

I don't know that woodwinds would drive me away completely. Maybe if they manufactured them or figured out a way for marchers to carry them and play them in an upright and bugle-like fashion, I could tolerate them somewhat. Of course the oboe line might look a little silly. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I don't know that woodwinds would drive me away completely. Maybe if they manufactured them or figured out a way for marchers to carry them and play them in an upright and bugle-like fashion, I could tolerate them somewhat. Of course the oboe line might look a little silly. 

And made them out of metal, and replaced the reeds with mouthpieces, and made them a little larger.

Trumpinets, Flubas, Oboniums, Saxobones, Mellolos...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Will the 'Next Generation of Drum Corps Performances' be accepted of rejected?

Will have to wait and see what the pageantry leeches come up with. Hard to imagine more entertaining and better executed performances. 

• Thanks 1