What will corps do at the shows?

23 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Does anyone still believe that tired old refrain?

One of the byproducts of aging is that humans start to get pissy about the idea that the world will keep moving even when they shuffle off. 😎

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

One of the byproducts of aging is that humans start to get pissy about the idea that the world will keep moving even when they shuffle off. 😎

I don’t think that way at all. I’m sure the world will keep spinning long after I’ve shuffled off this mortal coil. I just don’t want to go to Indy anymore. I’ll probably go to Atlanta if we ever get back to anything approaching normal. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t think that way at all. I’m sure the world will keep spinning long after I’ve shuffled off this mortal coil. I just don’t want to go to Indy anymore. I’ll probably go to Atlanta if we ever get back to anything approaching normal. 

I haven’t watched a full DCI contest in years and was hoping to check it out again when I retired. Well... two weeks after I retired Covid hit so no shows 😩
I’ll watch when it comes back and if I like I’ll continue to watch. If not I’ll stop and no complaints. Rather have the activity survive than follow what i like 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I haven’t watched a full DCI contest in years and was hoping to check it out again when I retired. Well... two weeks after I retired Covid hit so no shows 😩
I’ll watch when it comes back and if I like I’ll continue to watch. If not I’ll stop and no complaints. Rather have the activity survive than follow what i like 

I right there with you. I am planning on going to Indy this year and maybe another show or two. If I like what I see, I will be back. I will also give a benefit of the doubt if the shows aren’t as polished as usual this year because it isn’t going to be a “typical” year. But if I don’t like what I see in the next couple of years, I will go softly into the good night with no hard feelings.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I right there with you. I am planning on going to Indy this year and maybe another show or two. If I like what I see, I will be back. I will also give a benefit of the doubt if the shows aren’t as polished as usual this year because it isn’t going to be a “typical” year. But if I don’t like what I see in the next couple of years, I will go softly into the good night with no hard feelings.

Yep I walked away 1993-2002 or so due to being a bit burnt out from following corps. Also changes to my life that were more important. Didn’t really notice it after the first season. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep I walked away 1993-2002 or so due to being a bit burnt out from following corps. Also changes to my life that were more important. Didn’t really notice it after the first season. 

The activity has always had phases.  Looking back, there are times through the years that changes were introduced, only to be further changed, or forgotten later on.

I remember a time in the '80s when many guards were not using traditional equipment.  Some shows had no rifles and that was from some very prominent groups. 

The activity continues to evolve.  Nothing is finite.

Today's trends are tomorrow's memories. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I remember a time in the '80s when many guards were not using traditional equipment.  Some shows had no rifles and that was from some very prominent groups. 

There was a certain corps director from NJ who once said that someday he hoped to do a show where none of the guard equipment mimicked any type of weapon.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Last year was the first year I didn’t attend a single show since 1968.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Last year was the first year I didn’t attend a single show since 1968.  

OMG I just thought of something I saw in my antique car magazine while back. Like DCI fans some people make an annual October “pilgrimage” to Hershey PA for the week long antique auto flea market and show. No show last year but some people actually drove there and parked where their flea market spot would be and took pics. Then sent their saga of “just couldn’t miss it” and pics to the national magazine.

So anyone go to Indy and take pics of the stadium and (empty) corps warm up spots?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You were away from things during mostly the same period I was. Finally saw a show in '02 after hearing from old corps buds how things had changed so much since the BITD days and thought, hey, this isn't half bad- yes, very different, but hardly insufferable. Got reborn and the rest is history. What brought me back and has kept me back since '02 is just the marvel I experience at the talent on the field, though I'm very much still learning what shows today are "all about" and what stories they tell. 

• Like 2