What will corps do at the shows?

39 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Putting on my Science Hat - if real-world data keeps popping up outside the predictive model, then the model is wrong.  
If you want to build a model you need good glue, & the glue is the real-world data. 

True... just to be clear I was thinking of comments I’ve seen (not in DCP) that basically say “the percentages are small so I have nothing to worry about” (or “why take precautions?)”.

Having seen it, if you’re on the wrong side of the numbers then percentages mean nothing 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

32 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Putting on my Science Hat - if real-world data keeps popping up outside the predictive model, then the model is wrong.  
If you want to build a model you need good glue, & the glue is the real-world data. 

If I see another Bill Maher video on DCP, I will put on my Harry Potter hat and disappear where no one will find me (except in the shoe department of the local Walmart). 

Edited by Continental
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, skevinp said:

It sounds like, for anyone old or fat, the key to survival is knowing you.  

no because not everyone i know that got it lived

21 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Not really sure why it is funny. I presented you with facts and scientific percentages. Your personal experiences aside were probably included in those numbers but scientifically the percentages are clear. 

funny is used sarcastically. 

i understand what the stats say. i have also seen stats prove not to be 100% accurate, and lets face it, when presented with facts, you often just resort to calling people panickers or haters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Stay focused on what those percentages and statistics pointed out. Hospitalizations. 

oh i am very aware. i am pretty sure what friends and family have experienced this past year, i am probably more aware of how everything plays out for those infected than you are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh i am very aware. i am pretty sure what friends and family have experienced this past year, i am probably more aware of how everything plays out for those infected than you are.

My step-father caught covid from staff at his assisted living facility last year. He died Easter Sunday, 2020, just as the first surge was getting started. His doctor only saw him for yearly physicals. He took less medication than I do. I don’t give a rat’s ### about statistics.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Sad 4

We got our first student, age 18, who received both their vaccination shots, well past the incubation period, that winded up testing positive.  Although rare, don’t tell me about statistics either.  It happens and will happen again, although it is rare.  

But I’m also someone who is not entirely on either side. I’ll go out to eat or shop.  We hit the bar with friends occasionally. We practice safe protocols.  I’m just making the best decisions I can which I know are neither good nor bad.  I’m sure the leadership of these corps are trying to make the best decision possible.  Praying for each corps no matter what direction they are taking this summer.  

Living in a small Native American community, I’ve known too many individuals who have passed. I’m talking at least 50 or more friends, colleagues, former students, parents of students, and family. It is real whether you want to believe it or not.  I’m grounded with at least that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Sigh... bottom line is this has hit every way possible in every demographic. Trying to make this sound like it only really hits certain groups or doesn’t hit certain groups is unrealistic. Thinking of remarks I’ve seen and heard over the past year seems like people are trying to convince themselves it won’t happen to them. Some sound like they are scared and some sound like they are too “macho” or egotistical to get sick like everyone else.

Edit: and playing the percentage game takes on a different meaning when you consider the NUMBER of people even a small percentage represents

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 4