What will corps do at the shows?

We are in uncharted territory.

Until every state/ county/ school district/ school agrees on a COVID return policy, I doubt we will see a return of the activity as we we knew it for quite some time. Professional Sports are trying to make a comeback and they will probably be the best indicators of returning to some form of 'normalcy'.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

135,000.00 fans will be at the Indy 500. Great news. Probably will still be a huge problem for Drum Corps fans because its outside. :sarcasm:

lets hope it works out. i'd like life to return to normal. i'd also prefer people be safe because theres too many selfish chowderheads that could #### it up for everyone

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

lets hope it works out. i'd like life to return to normal. i'd also prefer people be safe because theres too many selfish chowderheads that could #### it up for everyone

Open the roof then its an outside event. No mask required.

Edited by O'Neal's
  • Haha 1

Not disputing what has happened in your state/ county/ or school district but that needs to happen in every state/ county for these groups to even travel between competition/exhibition locations.

You have been a 'Financial Hawk' regarding each organization's finances. Are you now saying that contest/promoters or other promoters would take a financial loss just to have a drum corps show?

I don't think so. That makes no business sense.

Your estimate of 6000 fans concert side at Lucas Oil Stadium could barley begin to cover the costs of the the stadium rental ( power/ security/ medical response teams/ police presence/ aux parking subsidies/  advertising/ tv promo's/ advertising/ and so much more that I cannot even imagine what an Indy budget would cost.

We have'nt even included TV rights,/ permits/ transmissions for FLO or some other company to transmit/stream the event.

I believe that If DCI management manages to create some type of gathering at "Indy", it will be at a huge cost with limited return and will not be even a 'break even' event. Can DCI continue or will DCI "the organization" be another financial idea "Gone" because of the pandemic?

Time will tell, prove me wrong, but I'm not optimistic that a return will happen soon and it is more to likely happen over a following season or more due to the current confusion and current history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Open the roof then its an outside event. No mask required.

If no mask required outside then why do outdoor baseball and football stadiums have limited seating and masks required? 

135,000 for Indy sounds a bit under 50%. Believe the max was 350,000.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Until every state/ county/ school district/ school agrees on a COVID return policy, I doubt we will see a return of the activity as we we knew it for quite some time. Professional Sports are trying to make a comeback and they will probably be the best indicators of returning to some form of 'normalcy'.

Just my 2 cents.

In this part of North Jersey there remain a number of issues with schools opening up their facilities for any outside group, at least for this Summer.

That includes a Municipality's Summer Day Camp.

Between needing to use classrooms for expanded Summer School, and the costs associated with following covid protocols, most school districts in this area aren't even considering using their facilities for other then their own students,taking classes.

They won't even allow town day camps to use their bathrooms.

7 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Just my 2 cents.

And to be Captain Obvious, the professional sports are concerned with the bottom line so more likely to push reopening. The schools are more concerned with safety so more willing to wait.

Got me thinking.... how can you have a nationwide activity like DCI try to set things up with the hundreds of local school districts/towns that have their own set of rules.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Wasn't sure where to post this.

Usually DCI has Big Loud Live on Thursday night of Finals Week.

Has anyone heard if they are considering any type of theater broadcast

for this year ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

In this part of North Jersey there remain a number of issues with schools opening up their facilities for any outside group, at least for this Summer.

That includes a Municipality's Summer Day Camp.

Between needing to use classrooms for expanded Summer School, and the costs associated with following covid protocols, most school districts in this area aren't even considering using their facilities for other then their own students,taking classes.

They won't even allow town day camps to use their bathrooms.

I really hope DCI is able to pull off 2021 without killing the activity. 

But at some point there needs to be a reality check.

The devil is in the details.  DCI 2021 is like a chain.  There is a financial link, a transportation link, an overnight lodging link, a member/staff Covid/health link etc, etc.  If one link breaks, the then the entire chain fails.

I just hope someone at DCI has the authority & intestinal fortitude to toss in in the towel if it becomes apparent that 2021 just won't work.

To echo others on this board - Drum Corps financials are flimsy at best.  The last thing Corps need to do is throw good money after bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If no mask required outside then why do outdoor baseball and football stadiums have limited seating and masks required? 

135,000 for Indy sounds a bit under 50%. Believe the max was 350,000.

If you take a look at the recent UFC event which was indoor masks wearing was up to the individual. 

• Haha 1