What will corps do at the shows?

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Few pages back I posted about some corps not wanting members to read DCP or SM. IIRC the reason (or one of the reasons) given was nasty reviews of shows. Staff didn’t want members to read it and let it get in their heads.

Sure there are plenty of reasons from over the years 

and in the reviews section you can see many a post from members that were offended

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

Maybe we will bring back a DCP night where its at. To act out some of the posters who are around presently and in the past that indicated to many obstacles to marching in 2021. 

i'd pay to see a recording of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Marty was a legend in the percussion circles. I know a couple of instructors now who marched under Marty at Phantom and also in Louisiana.  Was he the reason they brought split shells to Phantom? Maybe Someone like Phantom should march them this year, but they would have to make them on their own or ask Ludwig to do it as a special? 

What was the sound like? I just read a few things available out on the cosmic lines that are mixed or poor reviews on sound. 

He may have been as they were a Ludwig line in 79 & 80 (I think).  My HS band director gave me my first experience watching DCI finals in Birmingham, AL in 79 & 80.  Got to see Phantom march those shells in person.  To me, they sounded similar to a traditional snare using 'scoops' or as they're now called 'projectors'.  The snare sound was more 'present' & may have produced more volume.  

But I don't think they were well liked by the players.  The Ludwig drums were 6 or 7 ply maple.  But If they were like those old North snares with fiberglass shells, the performers had trouble hearing each other thus creating execution issues.  But the North drums also sounded like 'poo' due to the fiberglass shell.  

Back to DCI finals in Birmingham, AL, there were some incredible performances.  The Scouts in 80 disagreed with their placement/score & let it show in retreat.  Also, Spirit's Finals performance saluting Jim Ott was incredible.  (Jim Ott had died when their van crashed on tour just before their Memphis show.)  They spelled out Jim Ott's name in the visitor side reserved seating.  Incredible & emotional warm up with "Salvation" & then the field show.  "Let It Be Me"... Emotional night.       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

Maybe some more good news; Mayor De Blasio just announced this morning that New York City will be 'fully open' July 1st.  TV announcement; not sure about the details but I'm sure it'll be in a press release later this morning.  Broadway's reopening goal is September 1st.   

#MarchOn  #CelebrateDCI2021 :babies:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hope it goes away with the second.

For people not aware it was an unmoderated newsgroup. Had some people on there who sadly had issues. And more sadly some people who would post just to crank them up more. Had some good people who didn’t make the move here or didn’t stay long

I miss Notabando. Ook. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Maybe some more good news; Mayor De Blasio just announced this morning that New York City will be 'fully open' July 1st.  TV announcement; not sure about the details but I'm sure it'll be in a press release later this morning.  Broadway's reopening goal is September 1st.   

#MarchOn  #CelebrateDCI2021 :babies:

New York City may not be the best example of things trying to get back to normal.

The Governor of NY decides what can open,not the Mayor ,and Cuomo loves sticking it to DiBalzio.

Its gotten worse with DiBlazio calling for him resign or be impeached.

The September 1 date is what some theater groups have said.

WOR has a morning host who knows Broadway inside out.

He's been saying there are a lot of hurdles that have to be overcome for Broadway to reopen.

Right now,most shows need pretty much 100% capacity to be profitable.

Doesn't seem to be any chance of that being allowed,anytime soon.

One solution is for the theater unions to agree to temporary changes in work rules.

For example,a "one man" show must have a 5 piece orchestra.

So far,according to him, the unions won't budge.

Even if they do allow 100% seating,will people come ?

Tourism is non existent.

The that fact  that,between the homeless encampments, and "drugged out zombies"  (his words)  midtown is a devastation during the day,forget at night, won't help.

My wife and I live about 20 minutes from midtown.

Used to go to Manhattan all the time.

We'd park at the Port Authority and walk from there.

Not now.

In addition to not being safe,the police are now stationing 80 additional officers in the area,the stench of urine and feces in midtown,including Times Square,will knock you over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Based on what I witnessed last evening in the house chamber, people who are vaccinated are still wearing mask and social distancing. Not to mention inflation will continue to rise and people will have less disposable income. I’ll be surprised if any of these shows take place let alone be well attended or profitable. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

New York City may not be the best example of things trying to get back to normal.

The Governor of NY decides what can open,not the Mayor ,and Cuomo loves sticking it to DiBalzio.

Its gotten worse with DiBlazio calling for him resign or be impeached.

I would purchase a 'pay-per-view' event for a Cuomo vs. De Blasio 'MMA' or 'UFC' styled match. :fight:   

• Haha 1