What will corps do at the shows?

7 hours ago, Lance said:

now i'm upset. what's the word for irrational prejudice against unoffending woodwinds?

*please don't hurt me*

there are no words

14 hours ago, Continental said:

I honestly read that as a general comment and not a personal attack.  

That's because you can read. 😎

BTW, in case the "protester" is concerned, I started marching drum corps 1 year after DCI was established, and have been involved as a performer, instructor, Board member, consultant for various corps, etc, pretty much every year since then. I don't want to see 1975 drum corps again, I don't want to see 1987 drum corps again, same with 1999, 2004, and 2016 - the activity if for THE MEMBERS, and no 18 year old wants to play on a rotary/valve horn or double tenor drums or do some golden moldie show just because Grampa Ted thinks that's when it was "real drum corps."

Also, no one will be using woodwinds this year, since that allowance was shut down cold this past winter at the member meetings about the season.  

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

I was wiped out for about 36 hours...high fever and chills primarily. I am 67 1/2.

Hope you're doing better now!

after my 2nd Moderna shot I ran a 99.7 degree fever, was tired etc. for 2 days, now 3 weeks later only noticeable thing is a slight bruise at the injection spot. I would certainly go through it all again! Seems like they are prepping Moderna Booster for this winter!

On the topic: moist corps are planning an 11–12-minute field performance plus a couple encore tunes; I believe the "Midwest combine" are planning a masse encore with all the performing corps together

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

On the topic: moist corps are planning an 11–12-minute field performance plus a couple encore tunes; I believe the "Midwest combine" are planning a masse encore with all the performing corps together

Last fall the high school marching bands in this part of NJ,as well as the college marching bands I saw, used "socially distanced" drill.

They also had bell covers on the horns.

A lot of the MM also wore masks.

Anyone know if corps are going to have to do something similar ?

13 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Well, actually...

Grenadilla wood is much more dense than maple so I think a bassoon would burn faster. Lol

XO,

A bassoon player

Awesome!  You just wanted to say "Grenadilla".  It's a fun word... 😁

And for the record, I'd be ok with a woodwind instrument only used for a soloist.  Although I loved the flugelhorn, Crown's "Gabriel's Oboe" would have been perfect for an Oboe soloist.

And here we go; countdown to comments...  :whistle:   

Staying on track comment: I hope Spirit of ATL performs "Let It Be Me"; the 1980 version.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Last fall the high school marching bands in this part of NJ,as well as the college marching bands I saw, used "socially distanced" drill.

They also had bell covers on the horns.

A lot of the MM also wore masks.

Anyone know if corps are going to have to do something similar ?

Sounds like the one time exhibition show my college did end of the (missing) football season. Also had it on line.....

Director told parents “give the students 20 minutes to pack up and scatter before you see them... no crowds iow”

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Awesome!  You just wanted to say "Grenadilla".  It's a fun word... 😁

And for the record, I'd be ok with a woodwind instrument only used for a soloist.  Although I loved the flugelhorn, Crown's "Gabriel's Oboe" would have been perfect for an Oboe soloist.

And here we go; countdown to comments...  :whistle:   

Staying on track comment: I hope Spirit of ATL performs "Let It Be Me"; the 1980 version.  

I would be okay with woodwind soloists in the pit.   I'm not keen on seeing sections of them on the field though.  Horns up with flutes and clarinets really doesn't work.  I appreciate the uniformity of an all brass section on the field. 

The activity has integrated vocalists now.  Each year they are used it just gets better and better - and I was really against them when the rule changed.   I think one of the finest examples is the 2018 Cadets rendition of Ara Batur.  It chokes me up every time I hear it.  Just beautifully done.   Your example of Gabriel's Oboe is also well noted. 

A final note.  You may have posted the video as a joke initially, but that Bari Sax player with the lawnmower reminded me of just how nice the Bari Sax sounds. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had a stiff neck, headache, and I was super fatigued for a day.  I still have a tender spot at the injection site almost two weeks in. 

25 hours since my second Moderna shot, and no real side effects other than a sore deltoid, but really it is no worse than a lot of flu shots I have had. I am a little tired, not outrageously so, but that might be a function of going to bed late and getting up early.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Hope you're doing better now!

after my 2nd Moderna shot I ran a 99.7 degree fever, was tired etc. for 2 days, now 3 weeks later only noticeable thing is a slight bruise at the injection spot. I would certainly go through it all again! Seems like they are prepping Moderna Booster for this winter!

I have a small red area and a lump at the injection site 13 days in.  JNJ Janssen. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slingerland said:

That's because you can read. 😎

I will assume that was just a very bad attempt at humor, and not a potshot at dyslexics.

If you want to discuss anything here (which, after all, is the purpose of this forum), please refrain from making personal remarks.

BTW, in case the "protester" is concerned, I started marching drum corps 1 year after DCI was established, and have been involved as a performer, instructor, Board member, consultant for various corps, etc, pretty much every year since then. 

I am here to discuss ideas, not resumes.

I don't want to see 1975 drum corps again, I don't want to see 1987 drum corps again, same with 1999, 2004, and 2016 - 

I would love to see them all again - on video.  But aside from that, I have no desire to see future ensembles repeat what has already been done.  We must have some common ground there.

the activity if for THE MEMBERS, 

As it always has been.  Though it is worth pointing out that throughout the history of this youth activity, members rarely get to design their shows.  And at no time in history has that been more true than today, when nearly all the influential/prolific drum corps designers are old enough to be grandparents.

and no 18 year old wants to play on a rotary/valve horn or double tenor drums or do some golden moldie show just because Grampa Ted thinks that's when it was "real drum corps."

Oh, I see.  Anyone who opposes YOUR change must be a "grampa" who hates EVERY change since the days of chrome helmets, Sam Browne belts and bugle calls.  Never mind that I do not fit that mold, much less how many more are like me.

Instead, let us return to those 18 year olds you brought up, because what they show us is illuminating.  Whenever I hear about a survey of their opinions, it says that they are overwhelmingly opposed to woodwinds in DCI drum corps.  But surveys are not the best evidence.  Better is to observe actions instead of just words.  And their actions, especially in the past decade, show that while summer marching band programs have declined to near total extinction, kids have flocked by the hundreds to DCI drum corps auditions.

Also, no one will be using woodwinds this year, since that allowance was shut down cold this past winter at the member meetings about the season.  

That "allowance" was concerning field contest rules... not exhibition, SoundSport or I&E.  And since 2021 will be nothing but exhibitions, SoundSport and I&E, there is no reason corps could not utilize woodwinds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1