What will corps do at the shows?

9 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

You were away from things during mostly the same period I was. Finally saw a show in '02 after hearing from old corps buds how things had changed so much since the BITD days and thought, hey, this isn't half bad- yes, very different, but hardly insufferable. Got reborn and the rest is history. What brought me back and has kept me back since '02 is just the marvel I experience at the talent on the field, though I'm very much still learning what shows today are "all about" and what stories they tell. 

I saw there was going to be an exhibition show at Gettysburg (45 minute drive) with Cadets and Crossmen and checked it out. Even told my wife “I might be back early”. Not that bad and local “alumni” corps was also on. Say “alumni” as saw members who were probably in diapers when corps disbanded (I knew the history). Talked to one of the Baris afterwards and told “if ya get your chops back in shape come on down”. Ended up marching next to him for 8 years as I did join.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

There was a certain corps director from NJ who once said that someday he hoped to do a show where none of the guard equipment mimicked any type of weapon.

The same director who once felt that there needed to be less guard (1986)?

15 hours ago, Slingerland said:

One of the byproducts of aging is that humans start to get pissy about the idea that the world will keep moving even when they shuffle off. 😎

drum corps alumni have been #####ing since day 2

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Slingerland said:

One of the byproducts of aging is that

... excuse me?

Mods - just curious.  Are ageist personal attacks allowed if the attacker has no idea how old I actually am?

humans start to get pissy about the idea that the world will keep moving even when they shuffle off. 😎

I am sure it will.  Speaking of which, I am also sure that introducing woodwinds to DCI will get a significant portion of their audience "moving" (i.e. moving on).

However, I am not sure at all that there will be replacement ticket buyers brought in by the change.  That idea is not supported by any data or logic.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

However, I am not sure at all that there will be replacement ticket buyers brought in by the change.  That idea is not supported by any data or logic.

Drum corps have been losing fans, corps and number of members for decades. Not all due to changes in rules and equipment. Saw first hand loss of smaller Sr corps and shows due to rising costs. Costs went up, corps needed bigger payout, show sponsors raised prices and less people came. Eventually show wasn’t profitable so end of show and possibly end of corps sponsoring that show. And today there are just so many ways to get entertainment than sit in a stadium

As for losing fans by rule changes. The unanswerable question is number of old fans leaving and new fans coming in because they like the new better than the old

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Continental said:

I honestly read that as a general comment and not a personal attack.  

We have been hearing this same attack on "legacy fans" since George Hopkins employed it in version 9 or 10 of the 14 A&E proposals.  It is ageism, it is reprehensible, and it has no place on this forum.

At the same time, you may be fully correct.  Perhaps it is better characterized as an impersonal attack.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

We have been hearing this same attack on "legacy fans" since George Hopkins employed it in version 9 or 10 of the 14 A&E proposals.  It is ageism, it is reprehensible, and it has no place on this forum.

Hell I heard “leave, someone else will come in” back in the 1970s when that “wasn’t drum corps” either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

At the same time, you may be fully correct.  Perhaps it is better characterized as an impersonal attack.

While I would like to think ageism is only a problem with drum corps fans, it's been occurring in every realm in the history of social activity even before the age of the internet. 

I'm older.  I think differently.  I don't think the same as younger people do.  That happens from experience.   We are the product of every experience we have been through. 

I agree with what the author posted.  I see it.  I feel it.  And I accept it. 

It's not a problem.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Continental said:

While I would like to think ageism is only a problem with drum corps fans, it's been occurring in every realm in the history of social activity even before the age of the internet. 

I'm older.  I think differently.  I don't think the same as younger people do.  That happens from experience.   We are the product of every experience we have been through. 

I agree with what the author posted.  I see it.  I feel it.  And I accept it. 

It's not a problem.  

And on other social media the response to this would be:

OK Boomer.....