2021 Season Question for DCI & the Participating Corps

6 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Here are n NJ, public university Rutgers is also mandating vaccines, among other schools

That’s going to be interesting if not all students can get vaccinated by start of school. Or.... when they fill out the application to attend. 

Here in Maine, tomorrow 4/8 they are opening up the vaccines to EVERYBODY 16 yrs old and older, with anyone under 18 requiring parental consent.  I agree that the individual drum corps will have no trouble requiring vaccinations for all members, staff and support staff. In BAC's case, they are again having their spring training in the remote location of Castleton, Vermont, literally surrounded by mountains and not near anything.  Talk about a bubble! As they started a couple years ago, they will probably continue having the members sleep in the dorms and eat in the dining center.  I plan to visit them there and to attend all three local shows they will be at in August.   Having said that, I just don't understand the negativity and at times outright anger by some people here on DCP.  If Boston and Cadets and Bluecoats want to tour, let them.  If BD, SCV and Crown want to follow a different path this summer, that's fine as well. I am just happy that menbers will be able to participate once again.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, craiga said:

Here in Maine, tomorrow 4/8 they are opening up the vaccines to EVERYBODY 16 yrs old and older, with anyone under 18 requiring parental consent.  I agree that the individual drum corps will have no trouble requiring vaccinations for all members, staff and support staff. In BAC's case, they are again having their spring training in the remote location of Castleton, Vermont, literally surrounded by mountains and not near anything.  Talk about a bubble! As they started a couple years ago, they will probably continue having the members sleep in the dorms and eat in the dining center.  I plan to visit them there and to attend all three local shows they will be at in August.   Having said that, I just don't understand the negativity and at times outright anger by some people here on DCP.  If Boston and Cadets and Bluecoats want to tour, let them.  If BD, SCV and Crown want to follow a different path this summer, that's fine as well. I am just happy that menbers will be able to participate once again.

Agree totally on letting individual corps make their own decisions based on their individual situations. 
Just hope that when Maine (love the area) opens up they are able to quickly vaccinate the new group. Like I posted above PA will open up but possible all that means is being put on a wait list. (One person I talked to when I registered said they expect a lot of anger when state opens up on the 19th. Lot of people think that means vaccines will be available to handle the new group. Opening up will not cause more vaccines to be suddenly available. Schedulers might not be able to say when a person could come in for a shot)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree totally on letting individual corps make their own decisions based on their individual situations. 
Just hope that when Maine (love the area) opens up they are able to quickly vaccinate the new group. Like I posted above PA will open up but possible all that means is being put on a wait list.

Welcome back! When Michigan started to open up the vaccine availability, I was very concerned that I was just going to be pushed onto a longer wait list and would ultimately have a longer wait as a result. It was therefore a great surprise when, a few days later, my hospital system reached out to let me know I had an appointment. I got my first jab 19 days ago, and will get my second in nine days. I had to drive 30 miles, but it was worth it. I hope you have a similar experience.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Welcome back! When Michigan started to open up the vaccine availability, I was very concerned that I was just going to be pushed onto a longer wait list and would ultimately have a longer wait as a result. It was therefore a great surprise when, a few days later, my hospital system reached out to let me know I had an appointment. I got my first jab 19 days ago, and will get my second in nine days. I had to drive 30 miles, but it was worth it. I hope you have a similar experience.

Thanks currently 3.8 million with at least first dose. State population 12.8 million or so. And no idea how many will refuse to be vaccinated for whatever reasons. (Have some really “interesting” areas but can’t give details without tripping over DCP rules. Just say some of them are distant relatives 😬)

Sister and hubby are in the last group like me but live 2 counties to the east. We have been watching rollout in our home areas and... lot of differences 🤯

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had no trouble getting the vaccine here.  I got to pick the one I wanted and it was only 15 minutes away. 

Don’t schedule anything big the day after.  The side effects are like a milder flu.  Especially if you have a robust immune system.

37 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had no trouble getting the vaccine here.  I got to pick the one I wanted and it was only 15 minutes away. 

You are lucky. Hope and I were daily checking for places to offer us a vaccine as far away as Toledo, Flint and Ann Arbor (about a 60 mile radius) for about two weeks before our hospital system reached out to us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Don’t schedule anything big the day after.  The side effects are like a milder flu.  Especially if you have a robust immune system.

The next day was fine for us, but I have had significant hip pain starting a couple of days after. Joint pain is said to be a potential side effect, but it also may be just a coincidence. 

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You are lucky. Hope and I were daily checking for places to offer us a vaccine as far away as Toledo, Flint and Ann Arbor (about a 60 mile radius) for about two weeks before our hospital system reached out to us.

There were young people on there getting vaccinated Monday.