2021 Season Question for DCI & the Participating Corps

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had a day of feeling like 💩 and now it’s like it never happened. 

My lady friend is 61 and dealt with broken hip surgery and stress from family issues. She heard that the healthier you are the stronger the side effects are. Her quote was “my body is so freaking beat up I probably won’t feel a thing”. Sore arm for a day...

• Like 3

Get it or don't. I really think it is a good thing to do but that is my personal opinion and I am treating it like speaking of religious or political beliefs. Each can make their own decisions. 

Things like this weekend is what makes me just shake my head. 

Over the weekend a news host was virtue signaling the virtue signal. Trying to shame people to show that they got the vaccine etc. Why not either you get it and keep that info to yourself or share it? You don't have to shame someone.

Same person who did this over the weekend would probably benefit from at least 30 minutes of cardio a day.

Reducing body fat is one thing you can do to reduce the risk of covid hospitalizations. But this person had to spend their time virtue signaling. If it is so important for him to worry about releasing health info maybe he should have released his cholesterol level? 

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/jun/obesity-and-covid-19-can-your-weight-alone-put-you-at-higher-risk/

Why not spend the time to try and educate the public with facts and info instead of trying to make stupid headlines. 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My lady friend is 61 and dealt with broken hip surgery and stress from family issues. She heard that the healthier you are the stronger the side effects are. Her quote was “my body is so freaking beat up I probably won’t feel a thing”. Sore arm for a day...

Getting dose two on Friday. Good thing I am out of shape! 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

For DCI I don't know but It should be possible for the corps to require the vaccine? That seems like sound proactive actions. If someone has health issues and can't take it no problem. 

There's an article in today's "The Record" (sorry it won't link) about colleges (private or public) requiring covid vaccinations for students to return to campus.

According to the article,there's a question whether, at this time,a college can legally require students to be vaccinated for covid,even if they require vaccinations for things like measles.

The issue is that,right now,the FDA has only approved the vaccines for "emergency use".

They haven't received "full approval".

According to the legal experts quoted in the article,this creates a significant "grey area",when it comes to being able to "require" someone to be vaccinated. 

I would think drum corps would be in a similar situation.

• Thanks 1

Just ordered tickets through DCI for the 3-day event in August. An email was distributed yesterday to Friends of DCI. Tickets are $265 per person (covering all three days). Maybe that's based on my Friends level (Bronze, lowest, I think).

Of course, no idea about the format or number of performances. For me, I think it's worthwhile to get in the queue for seat preferences. I'll decide later just what I'll attend.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

There's an article in today's "The Record" (sorry it won't link) about colleges (private or public) requiring covid vaccinations for students to return to campus.

According to the article,there's a question whether, at this time,a college can legally require students to be vaccinated for covid,even if they require vaccinations for things like measles.

The issue is that,right now,the FDA has only approved the vaccines for "emergency use".

They haven't received "full approval".

According to the legal experts quoted in the article,this creates a significant "grey area",when it comes to being able to "require" someone to be vaccinated. 

I would think drum corps would be in a similar situation.

Agree that it is a gray area (I have been told that there are like 50 different shades of gray).

But also, no one is 'required' to march Drum Corps, so making vaccination a requirement to march would not be unreasonable.  I know Blue Stars have explicitly stated vaccination is required.  Other Corps may have as well.

• Like 1

They’re pausing the JNJ for rare occurrences of blood clotting.  Six cases of almost seven million doses administered.  They occurred between six and thirteen days after receiving the vaccine. I’m on day eight.  I’m not too concerned.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Just ordered tickets through DCI for the 3-day event in August. An email was distributed yesterday to Friends of DCI. Tickets are $265 per person (covering all three days). Maybe that's based on my Friends level (Bronze, lowest, I think).

Of course, no idea about the format or number of performances. For me, I think it's worthwhile to get in the queue for seat preferences. I'll decide later just what I'll attend.

Thanks for this info - now we can do some math.

Other thread said for NCAA capacity of stadium currently 15,400.  That is for entire stadium.  Cutting this by 1/2 (because I don't think DCI will sell seats behind the curtain) gives a capacity of 7,700. 

7,700 x $265 = $2,040,500

I would also guess that seats for a single night's performance would be more than $88 (265/3). 

So let's say $2.1M.

Doe we know how much LOS stadium charges for the 3-day event?

15 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But also, no one is 'required' to march Drum Corps, so making vaccination a requirement to march would not be unreasonable.  I know Blue Stars have explicitly stated vaccination is required.  Other Corps may have as well.

I’m thinking of the “my house, my rules” effect. You want to come into my house you don’t act up and leave hateful comments about groups outside. If not don’t come in.

Here “my corps, my rules” and one rule is Covid vaccination. If you can’t do this then don’t join

• Like 2