2021 Season Question for DCI & the Participating Corps

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont have a copy of the manifesto that was circulating a while ago, but i don't remember seeing this possibility covered in there.

Perhaps I am naive, but I would think that perhaps one of the most important parts of a Covid Policy / Manifesto would address what happens if someone gets sick.  This is not a something that you want to 'make it up as it is happening' situation.

Am I correct here, or way off my dot somewhere?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling

9 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Congrats! I got my first Moderna vaccine a couple of weeks ago.  In Michigan, everyone 16 and up is eligible for vaccination. With MI, in a huge surge of cases, that’s good news.

I feel a little foggy today about 18 hours in but besides that, I’m fine.  Jim has no side effects but they used to shoot several vaccines at once into him with a vaccine gun when he was an active Marine.  So this isn’t going to affect him.  Anyway, it’s only one shot and you’re done.

Anyway, I think once the young ones get the vaccine if they choose to do so, it will move things along.   We need some optimism. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I feel a little foggy today about 18 hours in but besides that, I’m fine.  Jim has no side effects but they used to shoot several vaccines at once into him with a vaccine gun when he was an active Marine.  So this isn’t going to affect him.  Anyway, it’s only one shot and you’re done.

Anyway, I think once the young ones get the vaccine if they choose to do so, it will move things along.   We need some optimism. 

Mild side effects are suppose to be a good thing.  Had some with both doses of the Moderna.  Or as they say, the Moderna version of the "Fauci Ouchi". 😁

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes, a lot of this was covered, but for whatever reason (insert DCI conspiracy theory of your choice), the Covid document is no longer on line.  

Publishing the information could go a long way in mitigating some concerns potential marching members (or their parents) have concerning th eproposed summer events.

Perhaps the document is now stored in the same secure location as 1975 Muchachos score sheets.

I had a chance to read the document before it got pulled.

One thing that I found surprising was DCI's "Disclaimer" which said,in effect, that the document was informational 

and each corps was responsible to determine what was best for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Could I ask,which corps ?

Off the top of my head ,Pac Crest's is extensive, Academy has some.  Vaccines + masks + social distancing.

13 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I got the JNJ Janssen today.  I read that here in Illinois that they’re vaccinating 16 and  up with the Pfizer now.   That should help with reopening drum corps.   Dr. Fauci said today that there is very little chance that vaccinated people will spread the virus. 

I am sure he will change again tomorrow.  The CDC has been saying there is little to no chance of spread with people who are vaccinated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Perhaps I am naive, but I would think that perhaps one of the most important parts of a Covid Policy / Manifesto would address what happens if someone gets sick.  This is not a something that you want to 'make it up as it is happening' situation.

Am I correct here, or way off my dot somewhere?

I couldn’t give you exact details but it’s my understanding that’s one reason Crown is staying put at Gardner Webb.  They’ll be in dorm rooms and I think will have some extra rooms for isolation if needed.  Fortunately, if the membership tries hard enough, they can probably be vaccinated before move in.  My kid will be.  They are also using the university’s food service to both reduce volunteer needs and because the university food service already has Covid protocols and procedures in place.  This does add some cost but worth it I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrummerParent said:

I couldn’t give you exact details but it’s my understanding that’s one reason Crown is staying put at Gardner Webb.  They’ll be in dorm rooms and I think will have some extra rooms for isolation if needed.  Fortunately, if the membership tries hard enough, they can probably be vaccinated before move in.  My kid will be.  They are also using the university’s food service to both reduce volunteer needs and because the university food service already has Covid protocols and procedures in place.  This does add some cost but worth it I think.

And I believe the Cavaliers are at Adrian College for most, if not all, of the time leading to Indy.

On 4/5/2021 at 11:44 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

DCI and various Corps continue to plan and move toward the summer season.  Each Corps, as well as DCI, has (or will have) a Covid Plan, which includes testing symptom checks and the like.  Details likely will vary from unit to unit.

My question is this:  If one (or more) members or staff of a given Corps test positive for Covid during ST/tour, what happens then?  I would assume (dangerous) that the Covid Plan would spell out what happens in this event; I am truly curious what this is.  Remove the member & place individual in quarantine?  Place the whole Corps in quarantine (which would likely mean missing some performances)?  Put entire Corps in quarantine and when period is over send everyone who is not sick) home?  Or something else?

I think this is a 'Hope for the best, plan for the worse' situation.

Just IMO, when everyone's vaccinated its almost a zero-level concern. 

We now know that the vaccines provide a level of immunity that both reduces the symptoms and the chances of you catching it in the first place. We also know it reduces the chance of spread. 

While it was only the ill-informed saying 'this is no worse than the flu' at the beginning of this last year, knowing what we do about the vaccines effectiveness now, with a fully vaccinated group that's essentially what this will be, probably less of a risk than the normal bugs that go through a drum corps every season. And when you consider the members within the group are primarily those in the lowest risk group (staff and volunteers may vary) to begin with- I think there's little to be concerned about now. 

2 hours ago, cage said:

Off the top of my head ,Pac Crest's is extensive, Academy has some.  Vaccines + masks + social distancing.

OK I see Academy's stuff; looked all over Pac Crest site, but didn't see anything.  May well be operator error on my part.  

Academy does not say what happens if someone gets sick.

Looked through other Corps; Blue Stars have a vaccination requirement.  Bluecoats have a covid mask for sale.  Several have general statements about safety.  

But I have not found any that address my basic question:  What happens if a member or staff member gets sick either in spring training, or on tour?  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra