Solidarity?

Thanks to all who commented. It’s obvious, not everyone sees the same value in (even this type) DCI Final Weekend. Such an event in Indianapolis, or any other city, will be the largest gathering of DCI enthusiasts of 2021.

Converging at the DCI Final Weekend will be several diverse components, including spectators, corps staff and instructors, equipment manufacturers, corporate sponsors, local officials and news media. Everything will be fully documented, some with media product to hold.

One way or another, every corps planning to participate in 2022 will be represented. It would be foolish to not take advantage of the unique opportunities such a gathering affords.

Formal, public corps performances during various time slots over three days will tie everything together. Even if greatly reduced and modified, these short appearances are important, if only as symbolic.

My perspective here is as former drum corps promoter and marketing manager.  This Indy Weekend, such as it will be, retains great value for DCI’s future.  I want each participant to recognize this. To “lend a hand” in making it all work as best it can under such challenging circumstances.

A public performance by an ensemble pieced-together to represent your corps in Indy will help greatly in this effort. That’s not too much to ask.

Again, your consideration of these opinions is appreciated.

Edited by Fred Windish

I'll support corps leaders doing what they conclude is in their groups' best interests. BD and SCV have done plenty in their histories to support DCI and enhance the activity. They should have some credit to trade on for doing something different this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

One way or another, every corps planning to participate in 2022 will be represented. It would be foolish to not take advantage of the unique opportunities such a gathering affords.

Are you saying this from a position of knowledge?  I know Crown is planning to have video shared at Indy.  I’m not aware of any live plans for them.  I am assuming this is included in “will be represented”?  Any corps you know of not planning to participate in 2022?  Especially WC?  The only thing I’ve heard from Surf is they were planning to something local a while back and they continue to have a social media presence, but I haven’t heard anything else about 2021 or 2022 plans.  I hope they are going to return in 2022.  Bob’s put a lot into Surf, I don’t see them going down without a fight.

I wish it was viable for all corps to participate in Indy, but I also expect each corps to make the decision that best fits their corps viability.  While things are starting to look more optimistic, corps also had to make plans when the summer picture was less clear than it is now (which still is in no way certain).

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Are you saying this from a position of knowledge?  I know Crown is planning to have video shared at Indy.  I’m not aware of any live plans for them.  I am assuming this is included in “will be represented”?  Any corps you know of not planning to participate in 2022?  Especially WC?  The only thing I’ve heard from Surf is they were planning to something local a while back and they continue to have a social media presence, but I haven’t heard anything else about 2021 or 2022 plans.  I hope they are going to return in 2022.  Bob’s put a lot into Surf, I don’t see them going down without a fight.

I wish it was viable for all corps to participate in Indy, but I also expect each corps to make the decision that best fits their corps viability.  While things are starting to look more optimistic, corps also had to make plans when the summer picture was less clear than it is now (which still is in no way certain).

Yes, I should clarify.  

I can’t imagine any corps who intends to participate in 2022, deciding not to have persons in Indy to represent their organization. That would not only be a foolish waste of networking opportunity, education, and planning participation, but also (in my view) arrogant and reprehensible.

The question is, could/should the corps also be represented in some small way by a modified (live) public performance?

My answer . . . absolutely!

Edited by Fred Windish

8 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I can’t imagine any corps who intends to participate in 2022, deciding not to have persons in Indy to represent their organization. That would not only be a foolish waste of networking opportunity, education, and planning participation, but also (in my view) arrogant and reprehensible.

It would also be arrogant to ignore how a global pandemic impacts the ability of different corps to travel to Indianapolis from their various points of origin.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Thanks to all who commented. It’s obvious, not everyone sees the same value in (even this type) DCI Final Weekend. Such an event in Indianapolis, or any other city, will be the largest gathering of DCI enthusiasts of 2021.

Converging at the DCI Final Weekend will be several diverse components, including spectators, corps staff and instructors, equipment manufacturers, corporate sponsors, local officials and news media. Everything will be fully documented, some with media product to hold.

Formal, public corps performances during various time slots over three days will tie everything together. Even if greatly reduced and modified, these short appearances are important, if only as symbolic.

My perspective here is as former drum corps promoter and marketing manager.  This Indy Weekend, such as it will be, retains great value for DCI’s future.  I want each participant to recognize this. To “lend a hand” in making it all work as best it can under such challenging circumstances.

A public performance by an ensemble pieced-together to represent your corps in Indy will help greatly in this effort. That’s not too much to ask.

Again, your consideration of these opinions is appreciated.

Fred, I have to admit I do not understand how the above cannot be properly served by the 90% of DCI corps who are committing to being there in person.

• Thanks 1

cixelsyd -

Certainly, no corps is required to do anything. I don’t believe that’s been the intent for DCI 2021.  

I describe what what would make the gathering better. There is no expectation of 100% agreement, just hope.

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

I'll support corps leaders doing what they conclude is in their groups' best interests. BD and SCV have done plenty in their histories to support DCI and enhance the activity. They should have some credit to trade on for doing something different this year.

I don't understand why,if a corps,like BD or SCV have determined that it is in their best interest not to tour in 2021,they would need to "trade credit" for their decision.

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I can’t imagine any corps who intends to participate in 2022, deciding not to have persons in Indy to represent their organization.

Ok, so you’re saying some sort of delegation, not necessarily a performing group.  If so, I get your point.  Not sure I agree but also not sure I disagree - something I’d need to consider.

3 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Ok, so you’re saying some sort of delegation, not necessarily a performing group.  If so, I get your point.  Not sure I agree but also not sure I disagree - something I’d need to consider.

Would a souvenir stand be considered a delegation?  That's pretty much all I could see happening for corps that aren't physically in Indy. 

• Like 1