Solidarity?

58 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Ok, so you’re saying some sort of delegation, not necessarily a performing group.  If so, I get your point.  Not sure I agree but also not sure I disagree - something I’d need to consider.

So does a SCV alum wearing their Vanguard jacket as a spectator count as SCV participation?  

If it does I may need to do an Indy road-trip to resurrect the Illiana Lancers for a season...

8 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I don't understand why,if a corps,like BD or SCV have determined that it is in their best interest not to tour in 2021,they would need to "trade credit" for their decision.

Yes, I think they're doing what they think is best for them. I only meant that I think that folks worried about them not somehow contributing to DCI or the activity at this important moment should give them a break here.

Edited by mjoakes
Spelling.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Yes, I think they're doing what they think is best for them. I only meant that I think that folks worried about them not somehow contributing to DCI or the activity at this important moment should give them a break here.

Having been in a corps that went inactive a few times I’d say the biggest contribution a corps can make to DCI is survive and make it to 2022.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Thanks to all who commented. It’s obvious, not everyone sees the same value in (even this type) DCI Final Weekend. Such an event in Indianapolis, or any other city, will be the largest gathering of DCI enthusiasts of 2021.

Converging at the DCI Final Weekend will be several diverse components, including spectators, corps staff and instructors, equipment manufacturers, corporate sponsors, local officials and news media. Everything will be fully documented, some with media product to hold.

One way or another, every corps planning to participate in 2022 will be represented. It would be foolish to not take advantage of the unique opportunities such a gathering affords.

Formal, public corps performances during various time slots over three days will tie everything together. Even if greatly reduced and modified, these short appearances are important, if only as symbolic.

My perspective here is as former drum corps promoter and marketing manager.  This Indy Weekend, such as it will be, retains great value for DCI’s future.  I want each participant to recognize this. To “lend a hand” in making it all work as best it can under such challenging circumstances.

A public performance by an ensemble pieced-together to represent your corps in Indy will help greatly in this effort. That’s not too much to ask.

Again, your consideration of these opinions is appreciated.

again.....the cost is a factor. if you have reduced seating, you gain reduced revenue. housing, liability, feeding, insurance and especially following all of the Covid protocols may be a financial risk some corps simply do not want to risk. I love your enthusiasm, but lets say this season as it is destroys a corps financially. is it really worth it then? You of all people should understand the financial aspects of the situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Blue Devils not attending DCI, this year. They are probably, already, the odds on favorite to win, next year, anyway. :doh::lle:

Next year? Even not being there, and not being judged if they were, they are odds-on favorites to win this year!

😎   

• Like 2

As I was unable to clearly describe how small an effort it would take for an organization not doing the mini-tour leading up to Indy, I’ll finish with these thoughts.

An important component of the Final DCI Weekend is a series of live, public performances throughout the host city. This goes beyond just what happens that Saturday night.

It would take relatively little investment of time, effort, and expense for any group to gather and present during a single (15 minute) slot on one daily schedule.  For example, a 15-20 person brass ensemble using active members and alumni, some who already plan to be in Indy at their own expense.  Music stands, a couple of Zoom practices beforehand, loaned brass, a trap set, commemorative T-Shirts, etc., etc. Play 6-7 numbers identified with that group.

Indoors, outdoors, a street performance, a sponsor exhibit, a local Happy Hour, etc.  Doesn’t really matter, just be a part of the performance contribution.

This highly unusual, challenging 2021 Season will long be remembered. There will be printed and digital records held for reference.

Oh, well.  It’s an option to place on the table. Done!

Best wishes to all  !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

As I was unable to clearly describe how small an effort it would take for an organization not doing the mini-tour leading up to Indy, I’ll finish with these thoughts.

An important component of the Final DCI Weekend is a series of live, public performances throughout the host city. This goes beyond just what happens that Saturday night.

It would take relatively little investment of time, effort, and expense for any group to gather and present during a single (15 minute) slot on one daily schedule.  For example, a 15-20 person brass ensemble using active members and alumni, some who already plan to be in Indy at their own expense.  Music stands, a couple of Zoom practices beforehand, loaned brass, a trap set, commemorative T-Shirts, etc., etc. Play 6-7 numbers identified with that group.

Okay, but again... not all groups have equal ease in doing that.  There is still a global pandemic; not everyone can count on having people already in Indy at their own expense; and that still might not work if it does not meet the DCI C-19 protocols.  I still think corps could show their support for DCI at events in their own regions, and via video-linked performances incorporated in the August 12-14 extravaganza.

But enough of that.  There is a nagging question about solidarity.  The manner in which the DCI announcement of the August 12-14 events was followed, within nanoseconds, by a press release by two prominent member corps promising NOT to be there, did seem odd.  Was there more to that than just pandemic response?

On 4/7/2021 at 6:23 PM, corps8294 said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Blue Devils not attending DCI, this year. They are probably, already, the odds on favorite to win, next year, anyway. :doh::lle:

On 4/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, MikeD said:

Next year? Even not being there, and not being judged if they were, they are odds-on favorites to win this year!

😎   

Y'all are continuing to feed the beast that is "PoppyCock".  If 2021  was a normal year, I think it would have gone to Spirit of Atlanta.  "Go Baby Blue"!   #ATL  #MarchOn  :babies:     

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Indoors, outdoors, a street performance, a sponsor exhibit, a local Happy Hour, etc.  Doesn’t really matter, just be a part of the performance contribution.

This highly unusual, challenging 2021 Season will long be remembered. There will be printed and digital records held for reference.

Oh, well.  It’s an option to place on the table. Done!

Best wishes to all  !

Thank you for the thoughts. I support your opinions but as is the case here many do not share your opinions. 

History will record last year and the years to come. Retrospect might be good or bad opinions on how things were handled. 

• Haha 1