Solidarity?

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

But enough of that.  There is a nagging question about solidarity.  The manner in which the DCI announcement of the August 12-14 events was followed, within nanoseconds, by a press release by two prominent member corps promising NOT to be there, did seem odd.  Was there more to that than just pandemic response?

Not necessarily. I think it is a matter of courtesy to wait to announce much of anything prior to DCI’s announcement and the corps knew prior to the announcement what would be happening. Overall BD is a prudent organization and knows what works for the best. I’m thinking SCV is making decisions based on finances. 

I have not heard a great deal of drum corps chatter since the 2020 tour was announced. The “Januals” of 2020 turned out to be not that climactic so there was little to talk about and then Covid hit. By the time the season was cancelled, most people I know, drum corps and outside of drum corps, were staying at home. There were no events such as parades and shows to run into reliable people who seem to know things. Due to circumstances I did not run into the less than reliable folks either. While I have heard very little, I think  if BD and SCV were either boycotting or not participating in protest, it would have leaked. I could be wrong, and in drum corps anything is possible, but I think for both corps it was simply a matter of what works best.

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

As I was unable to clearly describe how small an effort it would take for an organization not doing the mini-tour leading up to Indy, I’ll finish with these thoughts.

An important component of the Final DCI Weekend is a series of live, public performances throughout the host city. This goes beyond just what happens that Saturday night.

It would take relatively little investment of time, effort, and expense for any group to gather and present during a single (15 minute) slot on one daily schedule.  For example, a 15-20 person brass ensemble using active members and alumni, some who already plan to be in Indy at their own expense.  Music stands, a couple of Zoom practices beforehand, loaned brass, a trap set, commemorative T-Shirts, etc., etc. Play 6-7 numbers identified with that group.

Indoors, outdoors, a street performance, a sponsor exhibit, a local Happy Hour, etc.  Doesn’t really matter, just be a part of the performance contribution.

This highly unusual, challenging 2021 Season will long be remembered. There will be printed and digital records held for reference.

Oh, well.  It’s an option to place on the table. Done!

Best wishes to all  !

Fred, many schools, youth organizations, churches, etc. are going to discover if they have not already done so that getting back to any kind of normal will require efforts during this time that demonstrate a willingness to go the extra mile.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, Fred Windish said:

I can’t imagine any corps who intends to participate in 2022, deciding not to have persons in Indy to represent their organization. That would not only be a foolish waste of networking opportunity, education, and planning participation, but also (in my view) arrogant and reprehensible.

I don't mean this as a personal referendum, but I vehemently disagree with literally everything you say in this statement.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Fine with me, MikeN !

Are you able to further explain what disturbs you about such an opinion?

I know If I was a corps Board Member, I would expect someone from my paid staff to attend and remain directly involved with other associates. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Fine with me, MikeN !

Are you able to further explain what disturbs you about such an opinion?

I know If I was a corps Board Member, I would expect someone from my paid staff to attend and remain directly involved with other associates. 

in 2021 one doesn't have to attend to be connected, especially staff. For quite sometime now, meetings, discussions, policy, auditions for members, Qand A etc etc saved corps and people quite a bit of money to be able to use modern tech. to directly be involved. 

Lets be honest here, by the time events take place in any season and IF corps and staff have time to sit around it's all just about socializing, usually at a party or local bar..lol especially at championships. Nothing much important being discussed there...lol

Many businesses are now finding out people working from home may never go back to an actual office. Just had a discussion with 2 people today who are in just that position. They do want out of their house though..lol

I get what you're saying  as your point of view.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Not to mention the influence of design and trends. I find it appalling that anyone would think that either organization owes anything to DCI to participate in the dog and pony show just to prop up DCI. In fact it’s the other way around. 

Totally agree. I have said I am going to Indy this year, and I kinda hate myself for going. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

As I was unable to clearly describe how small an effort it would take for an organization not doing the mini-tour leading up to Indy, I’ll finish with these thoughts.

An important component of the Final DCI Weekend is a series of live, public performances throughout the host city. This goes beyond just what happens that Saturday night.

It would take relatively little investment of time, effort, and expense for any group to gather and present during a single (15 minute) slot on one daily schedule.  For example, a 15-20 person brass ensemble using active members and alumni, some who already plan to be in Indy at their own expense.  Music stands, a couple of Zoom practices beforehand, loaned brass, a trap set, commemorative T-Shirts, etc., etc. Play 6-7 numbers identified with that group.

Indoors, outdoors, a street performance, a sponsor exhibit, a local Happy Hour, etc.  Doesn’t really matter, just be a part of the performance contribution.

This highly unusual, challenging 2021 Season will long be remembered. There will be printed and digital records held for reference.

Oh, well.  It’s an option to place on the table. Done!

Best wishes to all  !

there's still cost involved. not everyone owns their own equipment they can use. hotels. still potentially have Covid protocols to deal with. way too many unknowns and variables. Sure it's great idea, but you have been in the room for DCA meetings...solidarity? Really? Think DCI is any better??

• Haha 1