The Snyder Cut: Drum Corps edition

Haven't seen the Snyder Cut of Justice League, but most reviews I've seen rate it as superior to the Josh Whedon original (for limited context, I understand Zach Snyder shot about 90% of the film, then was replaced for a reason I cannot recall, and Josh Whedon went in and redid it).

The general context is a film that was meh, and now was reworked and is a much better product. Relating this to the field-

Can you think of any shows which (in your opinion) had a wonderful concept, but the design just didn't get it right?  Which corps/shows do you think could have been monsters if they could be reworked with a different design team?  In other words, if a corps could do a metaphorical "Snyder Cut" of one of their prior shows?

(OT bonus question- for those of you who have seen both versions of the film, which do you prefer and why?)

Edited by wolfgang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2008 Cadets. A monster horn book and a corps with chops to match was marred by an inane concept. Sans props and saccharine storyline, it could have done well as straight forward, ***** to the wall drum corps show. 

edit - This doesn’t fit your parameters because it wasn’t a wonderful

concept to begin with, just great music. 

Edited by Brian Tuma

26 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

2008 Cadets. A monster horn book and a corps with chops to match was marred by an inane concept. Sans props and saccharine storyline, it could have done well as straight forward, ***** to the wall drum corps show. 

edit - This doesn’t fit your parameters because it wasn’t a wonderful

concept to begin with, just great music. 

I know what you mean. I was going to suggest every Phantom Regiment show from 2013 on to the present, but then I started to question if the premises were any good. (Caveat: This is no reflection on the MMs, who heroically tried to make a purse from a pig’s ear. I talking expressly about the design.) 

Anyway, Zack Snyder’s Justice League is better, but at four hours, I had to watch it in three sessions. It could have been tightened-up.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, wolfgang said:

Haven't seen the Snyder Cut of Justice League, but most reviews I've seen rate it as superior to the Josh Whedon original (for limited context, I understand Zach Snyder shot about 90% of the film, then was replaced for a reason I cannot recall, and Josh Whedon went in and redid it).

The general context is a film that was meh, and now was reworked and is a much better product. Relating this to the field-

Can you think of any shows which (in your opinion) had a wonderful concept, but the design just didn't get it right?  Which corps/shows do you think could have been monsters if they could be reworked with a different design team?  In other words, if a corps could do a metaphorical "Snyder Cut" of one of their prior shows?

(OT bonus question- for those of you who have seen both versions of the film, which do you prefer and why?)

2015 Cadets without the uniform change and with a better slow movement. 

Actually, the Cadets most every other year in the 2000's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regiment 2004.  The music was fabulous, the visual did not meet my expectations.  Piazzolla music is so raw and passionate.  I'm still looking for a corps that can completely pull off a tango show that epitomizes not only the genre but the visual energy of the music.  I always remember James Logan CG in '98 when they did their Zero Hour show.  

BK 1995.  The Ramsey Lewis music is not bad at all.  The drumline was killer and was one of the best on the field that season.  Just way too many dots.  Should have chosen another visual palette. 

Still love listening to both shows though.  

Some notable “ Snyder Cuts”: 

SCV 2014

Madison Scouts 1992 

Cadets 1994 and 2009 

SCV 1989 

Arguably, I think all are better then the original....sans Cadets. That’s a tough one. 

Nonetheless, shows I would like to see “ Snyder Cut” 

Cadets 1986: ....Arguably, the 1st-3rd movements of the show where they are playing music from “On the Waterfront” is some of the best of the Cadets from that decade. The reboot of it was what I was hoping they would do in either 2018 or 2019 with the association with the  Bernstein estate. Not to say we can’t rule out future shows with Bernstein music and The Cadets, (or Santa Clara), but hoping this can be in a show from them in the future. 

Phantom 2004: Everything said in the above post. To add, I can imagine what this music with today’s props, staging, and electronics would be. Phantom might want to revisit it. 

Blue Stars 2011: Rebourne- Universal Studios Florida recently opened a show based on the Bourne Series, which is impressive.  While watching that show, I was thinking  of all the set pieces, props, and music, as well as storyline being used. What was already great music in that show, ( as well as an underrated percussion book),  could be enhanced by by electronics and props in the modern day. Perhaps adding in more music from “ The Matrix”, would also enhance the show too.

Madison Scouts 2014: I remember when Madison announced this  Kenton and Ellis show around December 2013, I was hyped for it. But from the first time I saw the show,  ( at the June movie theater premier), my hype was somewhat diminished. “Beefing it up” was needed from that first incarnation of the show, and to that, I think they did a reasonable/ OK job. The Don Elias closer along with the soloist in the end zone was a fantastic add, but it always seemed like they could have done so much more with the music presented and the overall theme. Revisiting this music, added in with Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters, and something other then Strawberry Soup from Ellis show would be incredible show. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 3

In 2000, Crossmen started their season with "Livin' la Vida Loca" (yes THAT one 😵😬) as their closer, but then changed to Birdland in the middle of their season.

both films were bad, but snyder's felt a little more complete.  i'd actually watch a justic league sequel to his version, but not whedon's. 

would love to see a "snyder cut" of bd 95 with a completely different visual design. 

On 4/7/2021 at 11:11 AM, wolfgang said:

It is similar to the Superman II movie where Richard Donner the director of the original Superman movie was replaced by Richard Lester because of Donner's clash with studio executives. So there is a Richard Donner's cut of Superman II apart from the original studio's release of the movie. I did watch the long Snyder's cut movie and eh!! Kind of twice as bored as the shorter movie. 

• Haha 1