Returning Olde Pharte Suggestions?

Ok the only DCI I’ve seen the last 10 years was a couple of corps shows during 2019. Since then got the bigger tv for the olde eyes and retired so I can stay up and watch and not worry about 7am work start. 

My thoughts (based on the 10 or so shows I saw) are as follows:

Don’t compare to what I was used to. Try not to even think about what I’m used to. Take it as it is today and see if that is entertaining enough to me to want to continue watching.

Be glad I’m at home (probably by myself) when the frigging props block the view of the corps marching. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Expect anything in the pit and ignore what I don’t like.

Any other suggestions? caveat... I’m not a big fan of MB shows. I’ll watch but not all day and not spend $$$$ to see

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Suggest you check out open-class as well as world-class.  

What gave you the idea I wouldn’t check out everything I could? 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I had no such preconception.

If you have not seen much DCI in the past decade, then you have not yet seen how open-class has stepped up its game.  Many pleasant surprises await.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Honestly, I can see how he’d think that if you saw how few people show up at the stadium in Indy to watch open class.  And they’re really great. It’s gotten better but there are still people who don’t show up until the big dogs go on. Their choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Honestly, I can see how he’d think that if you saw how few people show up at the stadium in Indy to watch open class.  And they’re really great. It’s gotten better but there are still people who don’t show up until the big dogs go on. Their choice.

EXACTLY! I've said for years who complain that OC is the step child , well , butts in the seats and ticket sales will make a difference. WGI many years ago went through the same thing with A class getting no say or respect as well as HS guards in lower classes until they finally realized  THAT IS WHERE THE MONEY IS in fees through out the year and dues and a constant flow of people. They are also the future world class members, teachers, etc etc.  WGI finally got, DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU.

Money and support will always get a seat at the table. So for me when I hear the complaining I always ask first, when was the last time you went to an OC show OR showed up early or got out of the lot and watched those not WC top 12. Usually there's a blank look...lol

You're right also with it being a choice although it makes for a harder argument by those who make the choice to not support.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

I know OC isn’t by size but my favorite part of DCA is Class A (by size) and the minis. Let’s be honest seeing full sized, balanced, well staffed corps after corps gets a bit monotonous. When I said I plan to watch I should have said watch everything that is webcast

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I know OC isn’t by size but my favorite part of DCA is Class A (by size) and the minis. Let’s be honest seeing full sized, balanced, well staffed corps after corps gets a bit monotonous. When I said I plan to watch I should have said watch everything that is webcast

Part of the excitement for me during the old A/60 days was seeing what corps like Mandarins, Academie Musicale and Blue Stars could do with 18 +/- horns. 

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 2

just sit back and find what you can like. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

10 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Part of the excitement for me during the old A/60 days was seeing what corps like Mandarins, Academie Musicale and Blue Stars could do with 18 +/- horns. 

Absolutely!   When you are in a horn line of 16 there is no slacking off.  Every note is important.  

• Like 1