Returning Olde Pharte Suggestions?

17 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Now, imagine if DCA took their class A corps out of Labor Day weekend and staged their title show separately on the preceding Tuesday at a site 180 miles away from the site of the weekend finals venue.

Isn't this what DCI does with open class championships? 

• Thanks 1

Schedule wise, OC gets the best of both worlds.  The OC championship venue is *really* nice, and much smaller, so it doesn't feel like peas rattling around in a pod.  (2k fans in a 4k home stand has a much bigger feel than 2k in a 25k home venue.)  Two shows there, then to Indy anyways for Prelims - that's either a two-show or three-show guarantee that week, depending on if you make OC finals.  For the top 3-4 each year, they generally advance to Semis as well, so that's 4 shows that week - honestly, more than the WC corps get.  

There are lots of complaints that OC groups could raise if they felt strongly enough, but I'm not sure this is a powerful one.

Mike

The lack of support for the smaller corps is not limited to DCI. It existed before DCI in smaller local circuits like the Garden State (and continued into the "DCI era" in the GSC. I marched a GSC corps in 68 and 69, taught 2 in the mid-0's and judged there from 75-80. Corps had to host shows as part of being a GSC member. Many shows were attended by family and friends at best. Some had even less. There were shows held in open fields with no stands at all. Judges sat on top of the equipment trucks. A corps I taught had a show in Havre' de Grace MD on a pier. People just brought beach chairs to sit on the grass and watch, 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if marketed properly both can draw good numbers and OC not shuffled off to some high school stadium an hour away

Like Westminster, Maryland in 2000.  Where a DCI volunteer had to get on a riding mower to mow the cow pasture that those kids had to march on.  That had to be the worst show of disrespect I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

The lack of support for the smaller corps is not limited to DCI. It existed before DCI in smaller local circuits like the Garden State (and continued into the "DCI era" in the GSC. I marched a GSC corps in 68 and 69, taught 2 in the mid-0's and judged there from 75-80. Corps had to host shows as part of being a GSC member. Many shows were attended by family and friends at best. Some had even less. There were shows held in open fields with no stands at all. Judges sat on top of the equipment trucks. A corps I taught had a show in Havre' de Grace MD on a pier. People just brought beach chairs to sit on the grass and watch, 

I marched in the GLDBCA in the mid seventies. We were a bunch of local, but less than stellar corps, whose scores topped at the mid sixties in the tic era. Oddly enough, all our shows were packed. True, we marched in high school stadiums, mostly in Michigan, but the concert side was always sold out, show after show. Ahhh, for the good old days!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 12:39 AM, GUARDLING said:

Flaws? Ya think?....lol....now with that said , it wasn't always like that for lower classes. They had no say until those lower classes were the ones with the $$$ behind them through out the year , not just at championships, and not just at shows but in fees , etc etc. lets not forget numbers too...I know Im not telling you anything you don't already know..lol  DUDE !😝

amen dude...as someone who toiled in the lower classes, i will say IMO percussion pushed more for them to get some love than the other side did

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So is OC getting the publicity needed from DCI to get more butts in the seats. Sounds like catch 22... OC not getting more support until more butts get in the seats, but can’t get more butts in the seats without more support 

no and look at their tour stops compared to WC. Johnsonburg aint Allentown

13 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Probably not BUT its an old story . People complain about lack of support then most don't support anyway OR only run when the BIG guns are on. So yes both.

when i did attend finals regularly, i always went to see OC/2/3/A/A60. but locally there isnt anything within a few hours drive, and usually on week nights. hell even in Wc the closest show is 90 minutes away

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Now, imagine if DCA took their class A corps out of Labor Day weekend and staged their title show separately on the preceding Tuesday at a site 180 miles away from the site of the weekend finals venue.

don't give some of them ideas

12 hours ago, inbetween said:

Isn't this what DCI does with open class championships? 

yup

Edited by Jeff Ream