Velvet Knights

Roxanne Narachi... sounds very familiar. Do you know who else she has worked/marched with? Drum corps, HS, college etc.

... I notice you marched Fever, in those years VK and you guys were pretty close...also, Hoffman did Fever and might have had Roxanne in for gigs? Just supposing... cg

Yeah. Maybe that's what it is. The name just sounds real familiar.

cuz she joined the dark side ... she was a Renegade this year

started out in the guard but had a serious injury ... rejoined us just in time to do the last few shows with the honor guard

hopefully she'll be evil again next year

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roxanne Narachi... sounds very familiar. Do you know who else she has worked/marched with? Drum corps, HS, college etc.

... I notice you marched Fever, in those years VK and you guys were pretty close...also, Hoffman did Fever and might have had Roxanne in for gigs? Just supposing... cg

started out in the guard but had a serious injury ... rejoined us just in time to do the last few shows with the honor guard

ROXANNE "SOOOOOOOOOOOOOPERBAD MAMA!!!" NARACHI WENT EVIL????

I'm soooooooooo proud of her!!! GOOD JOB ROXANNE!!!

As for baritone solos in VK's illustrious past, my only contribution to that would be the 2nd part of the duet in the 1985 closer, "Chasing the Sun". Primary soloist was Ron Zeilinger, program coordinator guru now for Impulse.

And the PRIMO MAGNIFICO SUPERIOR of baritone solos would be Dr. Dave "Aloof Dancing Baritone" Meade in 1987 during Brazil. Even if he didn't take the last note up to a double high F....it was STILL a great solo!!

As for baritone solos in VK's illustrious past, my only contribution to that would be the 2nd part of the duet in the 1985 closer, "Chasing the Sun". Primary soloist was Ron Zeilinger, program coordinator guru now for Impulse.

And the PRIMO MAGNIFICO SUPERIOR of baritone solos would be Dr. Dave "Aloof Dancing Baritone" Meade in 1987 during Brazil. Even if he didn't take the last note up to a double high F....it was STILL a great solo!!

... but you do one dance...

You don't know how jealous I was that you got that part in the duet in '85. Was that the year you got Velvet Knight of the year?

Jon Shellenbarger did the Brazil solo again in 1992. I am told he did a dance also. It didn't make the vid.

If Velvet Knights could produce a Boxed set of Recordings i would be One who would buy it!

I have Been Rockin out to the 85 show lately.

What is the term for the horns playing in sort of a Circle in the second to last number? (right after the Mello solo I guess).

VK has really had some great hornlines!

84 was even better ..The first year we had Dave Elder who came over from Madison to be our horn instructor.

• 8 months later...

VK 1985 ROCKED! I still hear their horns playing Peter Gun to this day and I don't have the recording. :rolleyes: It was too cool VK. B)

Edited by Kansan

You should have been in the hornline playing it...and you should have seen the hundreds of horn players from Madison, Blue Devils, us, and a few other corps after playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" in a mass brass thing start jamming to Peter Gunn...that was in Minnesota that year...

IT WAS NUTS!

1983 will always be my favorite year for VK. Although that was the last year that we would be competitive with you guys, I loved the show. (Especially when the little wannabe sop soloist gets booted out of his spot.) You guys still had the khaki pants, Hawaiian shirts, red Vans and a total looseness (or was that controlled chaos?) to the corps.

This will probably come out the wrong way, (but I'm gonna say it anyway B) ) but after '83, it just felt like the corps got a little stuffier. Not the "we're better than you guys" stuffy but the "it's time to grow up" stuffy just to please the gods of DCI.

Now, I still loved the shows but they didn't seem as off the wall after '83. Does that make sense? The corps still had some of the wild antics and the shark and all that, but it just didn't seem to be the same. That just may be me, though.

Having said that, the one thing that I do know is, VK is sorely missed!

You should have been in the hornline playing it...and you should have seen the hundreds of horn players from Madison, Blue Devils, us, and a few other corps after playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" in a mass brass thing start jamming to Peter Gunn...that was in Minnesota that year...

IT WAS NUTS!

Ryan,

That was awesome! We were there as well. The contras (seemed like about 50 in total) were doing horns up, flipping the instruments around up and down the line, then someone started in on Peter Gunn - and the crowd went NUTS! That was one fun retreat!

Tim Kviz

Sky Ryders 85-88

Different Rox, JoJo!

The Renegades' Rox is Roxanna Perez (aka Roxie), who was Guard Captain of the Knight Raiders when Roxanne Narachi was a flag.

Would love to get Rockanne involved! And her brother Larry as well - heck of a drummer.

yeah, Lynners (VK Renegade) told me too ... my bad folks!