West Side Story is so old

14 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Here's hoping we indeed get dueling Lennies. 

Am I the only one who instantly thought of the scene in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" where Daffy and Donald are dueling on pianos?

45 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

There had been a previous announcement of Jake Gyllenhaal in a different Bernstein biopic. At first, I thought "that's a reasonable resemblance" until I heard Bradley Cooper was doing one as well - perfect (self-)casting. Here's hoping we indeed get dueling Lennies. 

My understanding is that the Gyllenhaal project is on hold since the Bernstein estate granted rights to the Cooper project. Maybe we’ll see Jake in a film adaptation of Sunday in the Park with George. He surprised a lot of people in the Broadway run. 

• Like 1

was supposed to come out last xmas time, i believe, but covid and stuff ya know.  

he'd better not have subtracted anything from the dance routine from cool. i'm fine with adding onto it, but that whole routine is pretty much perfection, no matter how old it is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lance said:

was supposed to come out last xmas time, i believe, but covid and stuff ya know.  

he'd better not have subtracted anything from the dance routine from cool. i'm fine with adding onto it, but that whole routine is pretty much perfection, no matter how old it is. 

Here’s hoping Spielberg used the original Jerome Robbins choreography. The 2020 Broadway iteration didn’t. 

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

Here’s hoping Spielberg used the original Jerome Robbins choreography. The 2020 Broadway iteration didn’t. 

I read that Spielberg is basing his movie closely with the Broadway version and not the movie.  Bernstein was not happy with the movie orchestration.

I wasn't happy with the original movie orchestration, either.  That's different from choreography, and I'm fine with most of it being tweaked, but not Cool.  That particular choreography is timeless and virtually unimprovable, IMO.  

* I just read this article, though.  It talks about how the choreography had to change, including in Cool, because dancing has changed so much since the 50s.  I had no idea.  So maybe I need to be a little more...flexible...with my viewpoint. 

https://www.americantheatre.org/2020/01/30/a-west-side-story-that-resets-the-choreographic-balance/

Edited by Lance

13 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Rita Moreno auditioned and wanted the role of Maria but was passed because she was too ethnic for Maria according to the studio. She's too Puerto Rican to play a Puerto Rican.

Are you sure it wasn't more about Natalie Wood being a far bigger star rather than Rita Moreno's ethnicity?  Regardless, Rita got the last laugh as she won best supporting actress, and Natalie got skunked for best actress (Splendor in the Grass).  

I can't believe how great Rita Moreno looks today and she's almost 90!

28 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Are you sure it wasn't more about Natalie Wood being a far bigger star rather than Rita Moreno's ethnicity?  Regardless, Rita got the last laugh as she won best supporting actress, and Natalie got skunked for best actress (Splendor in the Grass).  

I can't believe how great Rita Moreno looks today and she's almost 90!

Yeah, I don’t think that’s true. Rita Moreno is very outspoken and I’m sure she would have mentioned something like that by now. What is true is that Natalie Wood was upset that she was dubbed. They talk about it on the collector’s edition dvd and include footage of her singing. Oh, brother...

Edited by Brian Tuma

17 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s true. Rita Moreno is very outspoken and I’m sure she would have mentioned something like that by now. What is true is that Natalie Wood was upset that she was dubbed. They talk about it on the collector’s edition dvd and include footage of her singing. Oh, brother...

Yep it is true. She said it in an interview. Look it up because it's YouTube.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I wasn't happy with the original movie orchestration, either.  That's different from choreography, and I'm fine with most of it being tweaked, but not Cool.  That particular choreography is timeless and virtually unimprovable, IMO.  

* I just read this article, though.  It talks about how the choreography had to change, including in Cool, because dancing has changed so much since the 50s.  I had no idea.  So maybe I need to be a little more...flexible...with my viewpoint. 

https://www.americantheatre.org/2020/01/30/a-west-side-story-that-resets-the-choreographic-balance/

Well, get ready for some "TikToK - Hip Hop".  :dancin: