REOPENING PLANS & THE DCI 2021 "CELEBRATION TOUR"

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i got shot 2 today. my phone had 2 bars while waiting, and after the shot and doing my 15 minute sit, i had 4 bars, so i guess its true, reception does get better!

The chip they inserted into you has a tiny transceiver that improves your connection.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

even a packed house doesn't "pay the bills" in a normal year - so, no, it will not.

Ok, but ticket sales provides income for DCI.  Otherwise admission would be free.  

Related question- what is DCI’s primary source of revenue?  DVD sales?

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

they generally get 22k for finals. so if 50%, thats 11k. and drum corps from the end zone sucks

Copy; I understand what you were saying now.  I've gone to the South end zone a couple of times to meet up with a student from corps parking, grab some food, & 'void".  (It's a little less crowded). I watched a corps from that end zone while I ate & it's like watching from another country. 😎  

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I deplored the disparity of who gets vaccinated and who doesn’t (or won’t) get vaccinated. As many know. I live in Detroit (well, Detroit area) and recently the Detroit Free Press ran this article, which I also found interesting. I think it highlights the complexity of the vaccination situation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/7194298002

They're talking about a payment incentive if you get your vaccine.  I want my 'back pay'.  I had the (2) Moderna vaccine & they released a statement yesterday that we may need a booster in 9-12 months.  Sign me up... 🤔😜

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

#### I will try to figure it out.

Anyway, this is the headline:

A distrust, based on history, keeping many Black Detroiters from getting COVID-19 vaccine

This is a short excerpt from the article. 

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan has announced the opening of more neighborhood vaccine sites in an effort to encourage more residents in the country's largest majority Black city to roll up their sleeves by making obtaining a inoculation more convenient. Still, many residents say they have questions.

Though medical experts insist that COVID-19 vaccines are safe, effective and the only way to put an end to the pandemic, there is skepticism in the Black community over just what is in the vaccine and any potential long-term effects, as well as an historical distrust of the government.

When the first wave of the pandemic hit last spring, it took a particularly brutal toll on Detroiters. Medical experts and others attributed much of the disproportionately higher rates of COVID-19 infections and deaths in the city to factors often associated with the byproducts of institutional racism: densely populated areas with higher rates of poverty and lower rates of quality medical care, a dearth of access to affordable high-quality food and environmental dangers from older housing stock. Such factors can contribute to residents having higher instances of comorbidities like diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure and heart disease.

The Detroit Free Press went into the community, including restaurants and bars in the Downtown area, and homes and businesses from the east side of the city to the west, even surveying social media, to try to get a picture of what is causing vaccination reluctance. In total, we interviewed 71 African Americans who live and work in the city. And most — even those who have gotten the vaccine — cited such historical points for their skepticism.

“African American people, I think historically, we have always been the redheaded stepchild (a colloquial phrase for a neglected child),” Nathan Wells, who is a school administrator in Detroit, said. “We don’t feel a part of the whole.”

Out of the 71 Detroiters interviewed, 38 had received at least one vaccine dose and 33 had not been vaccinated.  

“A lot of people are reluctant because they don’t want to be a private, mini experiment, said Tiba Robinson, 46, a Detroit influencer and event promoter at Tiba Entertainment, who is not vaccinated. “And when you think about a medical experiment, you instantly think about the Tuskegee Experiment.”

The Tuskegee Experiment, also known as the Infamous Syphilis Study, started in 1932, when the U.S. Public Health Service decided to look into the pathology behind untreated syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease that typically affects a person’s genitals, rectum or mouth. The study included 600 black men, 399 who were unaware they had the disease and 201 who did not have it. The men, who were all from Macon County, Alabama, and classified as sharecroppers and poor, were all told they were receiving free health care from the government. But instead, they were monitored by government health care workers for over 15 years to see the effects of the disease and given no treatment, even after penicillin became the recommended medication. As a result, many of the men died, permanently lost their vision, went insane or experienced other severe health problems because of the untreated disease. Many of the Detroiters interviewed for this article cited this study as a key reason for being skittish about getting vaccinated.

There’s another 2000 words (give or take) and lots of interviews, and more reasons given for skepticism revolving around the themes of distrust, but you get the drift. 

From the April 23 edition of the Detroit Free Press, one of two major daily Detroit news papers. 

Free Press staff writers Christina Hall and Kristen Jordan Shamus contributed to this report.

Kyla L. Wright is a Detroit native who covers the city's neighborhoods and the various people, places and things that give Detroit its unique character. You can reach her at klwright@freepress.com and follow her on Twitter at @kylawrightmedia. Subscribe to the Free Press.

Jasmin Barmore was born and raised in the city of Detroit. She covers the city's neighborhoods and communities using her passion as her drive to give the voiceless a voice. You can reach her at jmbarmore@freepress.com or by sending her a message on Instagram or Twitter at @bjasminmarie. 

Like I said, this is a complex issue and we do need to look beyond the sterile statistics.

Thank you for posting that.  It breaks my heart - people once again being used as human guinea pigs.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

Your Windows 10 might need rebooting.  Or better yet, just buy a Mac. :whistle: 

Chip control vs Mind control. 

Mind control forces all users to line up to buy the latest updated products at least 24 hours ahead of release and to spend exorbitant amounts of money doing so. 

Chip control makes the user hope that there are no furthers errors that appear. 

Edited by Continental
  • Haha 1