Interesting Attendance Concept

Yesterday New York announced yesterday that they would be modifying seating capacity for Yankee Stadium,City Field and Buffalo's baseball stadium.

Basically they are creating separate sections for vaccinated and non-vaccinated people.

The vaccinated sections will allow 100% capacity.

Non-vaccinated sections 33% capacity.

This does,as the teams admit,create some logistical issues.

But the increased capacity is worth it.

Obviously,this approach isn't viable for smaller venues.

But could work at LOS

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Yesterday New York announced yesterday that they would be modifying seating capacity for Yankee Stadium,City Field and Buffalo's baseball stadium.

Basically they are creating separate sections for vaccinated and non-vaccinated people.

The vaccinated sections will allow 100% capacity.

Non-vaccinated sections 33% capacity.

This does,as the teams admit,create some logistical issues.

But the increased capacity is worth it.

Obviously,this approach isn't viable for smaller venues.

But could work at LOS

Yup; Dodger Stadium created a vaccinated section a couple of weeks ago.  I'm good with it!  It's creates an 'incentive' for folks to get the injection. 

Any idea how they will handle entering and exiting the stadium? And how many fistfights they expect trying to keep people for the “other” section?

24 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any idea how they will handle entering and exiting the stadium? And how many fistfights they expect trying to keep people for the “other” section?

Other venues have been considering this type of seating arrangement as well. 

In one of the plans that I saw, they would have specific gates open for each category.  Temporary barriers would be constructed on the concourse levels that prevented people from moving outside of their approved seating areas.  Ushers/security personnel would be used to prevent movement within the actual seating bowl (with some use of temporary barriers there as well).  It seemed like it would function fairly smooth assuming that people could follow basic directions of entering at the correct gates.

The biggest challenge/concern that was raised in the plans was making sure that the concessions and other amenities available in both sections were equitable.  So they talked about pop-up souvenir stands or food stands to help keep things fair.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

l).  It seemed like it would function fairly smooth assuming that people could follow basic directions of entering at the correct gates.

The biggest challenge/concern that was raised in the plans was making sure that the concessions and other amenities available in both sections were equitable.  So they talked about pop-up souvenir stands or food stands to help keep things fair.

Make that “people WOULD follow directions”. See so much “chip on the shoulder” in SM hope they lose it when out in public.

Was thinking of the other amenities too. Then again ran into issues in a stadium with family style bathroom to help a handicapped person. So I think of more than just sitting and watching the show

(Sarcasm on) I wouldn’t want to have to mingle with the great unwashed (sarcasm off).  
This is gross.  But have at it.  I have no interest in attending any event that treats people like lesser humans for a personal health decision.  What if they have natural immunity from having the virus?  There’s no card for that.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I know of a local public school system that is looking at the possibility of a vaccinated/non vaccinated seating area for events such as graduations and legal counsel is advising against it. The issue raised is there are those who would be vaccinated if they could. People in this category would be people undergoing chemotherapy treatments and immunotherapy for most forms of cancer and some of the MS treatments which recommended suspending the treatment for thirty days prior to any vaccine. I do understand that Major League Baseball is different than a school event but it could raise interesting issues.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m vaccinated and I’m uncomfortable with this kind of segregation.  I’m not afraid to sit by an unvaccinated person.  I’m vaccinated.  

And not only this kind of segregation but racial / economic segregation as well. As was discussed on another closed thread, underserved, minority communities have significantly lower vaccination rates than white or Asian American communities for a variety of complex issues. This proposal may end up being the classic form of segregation.  

• Thanks 2