Blue Devils 2021 Announcements

4 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

corps that are choosing not to attend the DCI events this year are trying to cause damage to DCI? 

They WILL cause damage - I'm certainly not a mind-reader as far as intent

Not having 3 of the top competitive & most well-funded corps on this recovery tour certainly hurts

Only the Bluecoats out of last year's top 4 corps has elected to support DCI's bridge tour - bravo to them

It's a little eye-brow raising when many less well-funded organizations are putting in the work to make it happen

Some of these second-tier corps will not survive IMO 

As far as the experience camp - I think it's great. YEA! / Cadets did them for years aka "Music is Cool" clinics >1-day events since they were on tour. I think they charged $25 and the kids got a t-shirt. I'm all for corps providing enrichment type community offerings. I'm sure these will be much more elaborate & a terrific experience

Check out the payment structure for the 2022 season 🙂 = might be why the mighty aren't bothering. G3 anyone?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking of my day when there were two Senior corps organizations at the same time (twice). DCA had the best payouts but corps had to make top 10 at championships to have a chance at being invited to DCA shows. So every year some of the lesser corps would have to look at their balance sheet and possible position if they went to DCA championships. Sometimes the decision was made not to go to the DCA big show. Hard to tell your members that they’re not going but instead banking the $$$ for next year 

Exactly the type of thinking going on here... 

Are the marching members of the Blue Devils participating in these clinics? Or is it just staff members of the corps and/or others hired by the organization?  I couldn't tell from the materials I have read.

And my second question...... If by some chance the trip to Europe does not happen (due to Covid), do you think the Devils would be willing to appear in Indy? It would be a shame if all the members efforts were for not. It doesn't matter to me if they do or not, was just curious.

48 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Exactly the type of thinking going on here... 

No idea where the comparison is.... I’m talking about corps that would not have made top 10 in DCA, not consistent finalists 

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Not having 3 of the top competitive & most well-funded corps on this recovery tour certainly hurts

Only the Bluecoats out of last year's top 4 corps has elected to support DCI's bridge tour - bravo to them

It's a little eye-brow raising when many less well-funded organizations are putting in the work to make it happen

As far as the experience camp - I think it's great. YEA! / Cadets did them for years aka "Music is Cool" clinics >1-day events since they were on tour. I think they charged $25 and the kids got a t-shirt. I'm all for corps providing enrichment type community offerings. I'm sure these will be much more elaborate & a terrific experience

Check out the payment structure for the 2022 season 🙂 = might be why the mighty aren't bothering. G3 anyone?

If there were even a hint of perceived value attending the Indy dog and pony show, and/or some available performance venues in Cali for a more localized season, I’m sure their decisions would be more in line with the Midwest. 

• Like 4

ok a couple of observations--

1. consider that this 2021 season is really away for a lot of corps to NOT refund $$$ collected for the 2020 season. It's something they can offer to folks who have already plunked down money. Downstream..... the financial viability is a crap shoot.

2. Something that DCI KNOWs is the importance of competition both to the members and the people purchasing the tickets. It is a major attendance driver, the only thing higher is being related to someone who is participating. The Blue Devils know this. All the corps know this. They don't think this - they KNOW this.

3. At the macro level it is worth considering whether DCI has decided that it's in the Not For Profit business, rather than the drum corps business. A looming question will be whether drum corps as defined by this new DCI will be summer scholastic marching bands, with winning and excellence defined by organization philosophy, policy and participation, while drum corps performance and design as many know it, becomes secondary.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

If there were even a hint of perceived value attending the Indy dog and pony show, and/or some available performance venues in Cali for a more localized season, I’m sure their decisions would be more in line with the Midwest. 

So, there's no value in Indy or the mini-tour this year? Highly disagree.

Most of the corps heading to the "dog & pony show" are either full or nearly full corps at this time > so there's your "evidence of perceived value" >> at least to those hundreds and hundreds of marching members!

A large number of other CA corps are making it work! Mandarins, Pacific Crest, etc.

The attitude is very questionable. JMO It comes across (to me) like those with deep pockets "can't be bothered" since there's no hardware for the taking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, stevedci said:

ok a couple of observations--

1. consider that this 2021 season is really away for a lot of corps to NOT refund $$$ collected for the 2020 season. It's something they can offer to folks who have already plunked down money. Downstream..... the financial viability is a crap shoot.

2. Something that DCI KNOWs is the importance of competition both to the members and the people purchasing the tickets. It is a major attendance driver, the only thing higher is being related to someone who is participating. The Blue Devils know this. All the corps know this. They don't think this - they KNOW this.

3. At the macro level it is worth considering whether DCI has decided that it's in the Not For Profit business, rather than the drum corps business. A looming question will be whether drum corps as defined by this new DCI will be summer scholastic marching bands, with winning and excellence defined by organization philosophy, policy and participation, while drum corps performance and design as many know it, becomes secondary.  

interesting!

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

At first I thought the Devils were just being financially conservative. Then they released intentions to travel overseas. Now the USbands announcement. Or part of why they did not want to march was for the covid safety. But both the overseas plans and having sessions in Texas does not reflect that in my opinion. 

Does those 3 corps see themselves as the rich and will do as they please? They will do as they please and potential members will remember. 

500 dollars is a lot of money for a session but so far not any more details. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1