Blue Devils 2021 Announcements

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I find it interesting that there is no press release regarding the cancellation of the Basel Tattoo for 2021.  There is a "cancelled" indicator on https://www.basel.com/en/events/basel-tattoo and I think you translated the website that you quoted.  It is only presented in German (and it may be Swiss German because Google Translate did not automatically detect that it was remotely similar to High German). 

There is nothing else.  It also was posted 6 days ago and there is nothing about it being cancelled on BD's website. 

Maybe the Devils will "do it live" on their own? Or do you think the person just made up the cancellation? 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

why would he be being satirical? Why do any of these orgs need to justify their decisions to anyone?

Very true.

But just less than a year ago many wanted the corps (orgs) to be responsible. Responsible according their own opinions.

In comes Mr. Dixon and his opinion differs and indicates he wants a justification for the decisions and yet many call him out and say no need for the orgs to justify.

I totally agree but the hypocrisy is clear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'd rather Blue Devils (SCV too) attend the event in Indianapolis this summer, but they owe nothing to anyone except their current marching members.  

And future marching members. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Continental said:

Not at all, it's clearly cancelled. 

Just strange that for an event like this there is no press release indicating so. Just information posted on a website.  Also a few more sites are saying so.

Pullman Basel Europe - Basel Tattoo (pullman-basel-europe.com)

Basel Tattoo | Facebook

I did find a few articles.  Here's an article from May 6th (looks like they reverse the month & day for the date stamp):

https://www.world-today-news.com/basel-tattoo-will-also-be-canceled-in-2021-due-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/

This article states that any 2021 tickets will be honored at the 2022 event:

https://aw-journal.com/against-the-backdrop-of-a-pandemic-the-military-music-festival-basel-tattoo-is-canceled-in-switzerland/  

4 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I did find a few articles.  Here's an article from May 6th (looks like they reverse the month & day for the date stamp):

https://www.world-today-news.com/basel-tattoo-will-also-be-canceled-in-2021-due-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/

This article states that any 2021 tickets will be honored at the 2022 event:

https://aw-journal.com/against-the-backdrop-of-a-pandemic-the-military-music-festival-basel-tattoo-is-canceled-in-switzerland/  

Thank you - I didn't see those when I tried to find more information. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Oh yeah, not sure how wide spread it is in Europe but DD/MM/YYYY pretty common. Drives you nuts in genealogy when you come across it, even in US records. In the earlier days lot of people who “crossed the pond” kept using it here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

why would he be being satirical? Why do any of these orgs need to justify their decisions to anyone?

I can think of several reasons.

- Members.  If they signed contracts and received money, then subsequently needed to change plans, members should be informed of the justification for such changes.

- Donors/volunteers/fans.  Every corps depends on the contributions of time/money from those groups.  Without their goodwill, corps could not operate the way they do.

- DCI and their member corps.  Since a corps can be thrown out of DCI by a vote of the membership, there are some issues that rise to the level of requiring justification to their peers.  (Unless they plan on leaving DCI anyway... )

- Legal authorities.  There are all sorts of occasions where a corps may need to provide justification to a legal or governmental entity.  One such example would be if international travel was subject to any limitations during a pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh yeah, not sure how wide spread it is in Europe but DD/MM/YYYY pretty common. Drives you nuts in genealogy when you come across it, even in US records. In the earlier days lot of people who “crossed the pond” kept using it here.

I guess Europe maybe had an influence on our military style?  ex, todays date: 12 May 2021

I like the military format as it's easier to read & no commas needed. 

• Like 1