Inflation, fuel costs, Oh My!

26 minutes ago, Continental said:

I find it interesting that gas prices are going up so much considering that during the pandemic the use of fuel has decreased.
-Airlines have cut routes dramatically.
-The Cruise Ship industry on pause.
-People working from home has reduced travel to/from work.
Now that people are expected to go out and about much more, we see such high increases.
Isn't there still a lot of oil in reserve at the moment?
Is this an industry taking advantage of the situation to make up for lost profits during the past year?
I've also suspected that the auto industry's increased development of EV vehicles is going to be met with higher fuel costs due to less demand from ICE vehicles. 

Gas prices seem to go up quickly when something happens (like current pipeline issue), but the prices seem to go down much slower when problems resolve. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Gas prices seem to go up quickly when something happens (like current pipeline issue), but the prices seem to go down much slower when problems resolve. 

Trying to remember the mid 2000s year when a hurricane trashed TX refineries. Hit just before Labor Day (DCA weekend) and gas was up within days. Local gas station was raising price every day or so but.... they only get a delivery (and charged) every 2 weeks or so. 🤔

7 minutes ago, lowend said:

In addition to the political philosophies that cause gas to go up under certain administrations, there is a summer mix of gas that comes out at a certain time which is more expensive than the winter mix.

The good news is that the summer mix gets better mileage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

The good news is that the summer mix gets better mileage.

We’re headed back to at least a $3 average diesel fuel cost per gallon by summer, and I personally don't think it will stop there. Additionally, food cost is up too. 

• Like 2

reserves ultimately determine gas prices.

start any research on gas prices with how reserves work, and be prepared for one the deepest rabbit holes conceivable...it has little to do with how much oil that can be made available, and everything to do with having exactly enough available to turn a profit for billionaires.  

also remember that using less gas worldwide over the past year has led to a lot of layoffs over the production of gas in every step between getting oil from the ground and what eventually ends up coming out of the gas pump.   

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My section of PA just started going over $3. As a retired IT geek from the govt, concerned that the wake up call from the hack doesn’t seem to be having much effect

Up about a dollar a gallon here.   $3.29 when I drove down the road today.  And no, I’m not running to the gas station to top off because I’m not crazy.   

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Up about a dollar a gallon here.   $3.29 when I drove down the road today.  And no, I’m not running to the gas station to top off because I’m not crazy.   

$3.09 at local Quickee Mart. I’ll go there off hours when people are going ape stuff at Costco or Sheetz to save pennies. Probably save more by not sitting in line with the engine running.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

$3.09 at local Quickee Mart. I’ll go there off hours when people are going ape stuff at Costco or Sheetz to save pennies. Probably save more by not sitting in line with the engine running.

This will be over by Saturday.  It’s not the oil embargo of the 70’s.  What’s next?  Disco coming back? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2