Inflation, fuel costs, Oh My!

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This will be over by Saturday.  It’s not the oil embargo of the 70’s.  What’s next?  Disco coming back? 

Wash your mouth out with soap! Disco! Forsooth!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

We’re headed back to at least a $3 average diesel fuel cost per gallon by summer, and I personally don't think it will stop there. Additionally, food cost is up too. 

Plus social distancing will likely require more busses that require fueling 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

reserves ultimately determine gas prices.

start any research on gas prices with how reserves work, and be prepared for one the deepest rabbit holes conceivable...it has little to do with how much oil that can be made available, and everything to do with having exactly enough available to turn a profit for billionaires.  

also remember that using less gas worldwide over the past year has led to a lot of layoffs over the production of gas in every step between getting oil from the ground and what eventually ends up coming out of the gas pump.   

Something I noticed today while locally driving (In Virginia) was that 7-11 & Shell were both out of gas.   Must be coming out of the same pipeline.  So why does Shell cost more if it is the same stuff as no-brand 7-11?   

• Haha 1

The pandemic artificially held prices down for the past year; that effect is wearing off.

Also, OPEC has reduced production.

But the biggest driver of supply right now is a lack of drivers.  You have to have a special certification to drive a tanker; they were in short supply before the pandemic, but a lot of them retired during the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Something I noticed today while locally driving (In Virginia) was that 7-11 & Shell were both out of gas.   Must be coming out of the same pipeline.  So why does Shell cost more if it is the same stuff as no-brand 7-11?   

IN most instances (not all), Shell gas is Ethanol free.  IIRC the Ethanol is blended at the distribution depot, so while the raw fuel is the same, the blend is different and more expensive than the 7-11.

Good news that the pipeline is back online - as some mentioned here this was all the result of panic and shortage of tanker deliveries.  the depots were all at capacity when the system went down. with an estimated 20 day inventory in the tanks.  I noticed some corps making contingent plans for traveling staff and members for this weekend - hope that will be the end of it.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

What’s next?  Disco coming back? 

Please I just ate... 🤮

Seriously was just saying how unexpected rises in gas or other corps needs can hurt or kill corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jthomas666 said:

The pandemic artificially held prices down for the past year; that effect is wearing off.

Also, OPEC has reduced production.

But the biggest driver of supply right now is a lack of drivers.  You have to have a special certification to drive a tanker; they were in short supply before the pandemic, but a lot of them retired during the pandemic.

Had a father who had a CDL for about 50 years (tow truck and heavy equipment mainly) thanks for the info. Don’t know if the situation has gotten better but years back our big worry was the refinery capacity was not where it should be. Companies did not want to lose money by shutting down to upgrade so that part of the system just getting older

• Thanks 1

Not to worry Poppy.  Inflation numbers are skewed because we’re coming out of a pandemic and the pipeline will be open soon.  Besides, inflation, fuel costs/availability were 100X worse in the 1970’s and Drum Corps thrived.

(Albeit the Pageantry Leaches hadn’t taken over yet)  🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2