Inflation, fuel costs, Oh My!

8 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Not to worry Poppy.  Inflation numbers are skewed because we’re coming out of a pandemic and the pipeline will be open soon.  Besides, inflation, fuel costs/availability were 100X worse in the 1970’s and Drum Corps thrived.

(Albeit the Pageantry Leaches hadn’t taken over yet)  🤣 

Exactly.  I know people who bought houses at 15% interest.  Like a freaking credit card! 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Not to worry Poppy.  Inflation numbers are skewed because we’re coming out of a pandemic and the pipeline will be open soon.  Besides, inflation, fuel costs/availability were 100X worse in the 1970’s and Drum Corps thrived.

(Albeit the Pageantry Leaches hadn’t taken over yet)  🤣 

Actually start of the downturn in my area but that’s for another thread....

3 hours ago, Lance said:

reserves ultimately determine gas prices.

start any research on gas prices with how reserves work, and be prepared for one the deepest rabbit holes conceivable...it has little to do with how much oil that can be made available, and everything to do with having exactly enough available to turn a profit for billionaires.  

also remember that using less gas worldwide over the past year has led to a lot of layoffs over the production of gas in every step between getting oil from the ground and what eventually ends up coming out of the gas pump.   

Actually, gas prices at the pump are more directly attributable to the trading price of gas futures.  Gas futures work almost identically to lumber futures, in that you bid and pay for gas that will be available at a future time.  Things that affect crude oil or distribution make futures buyers go crazy and that's how we wind up with huge upticks in the price at the pump.  I almost took a job years ago scheduling refueling tankers for a small group of 7 Smile convenience stores.  They waited until the last possible minute to buy a tanker and send it to a store before they ran dry, just to save a nickel per gallon or less.  Most stores sell gasoline at cost or a loss, just to get you in the store to buy the overpriced food and stuff.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Up about a dollar a gallon here.   $3.29 when I drove down the road today.  And no, I’m not running to the gas station to top off because I’m not crazy.   

I felt the same way... until every gas station I passed yesterday and today was 5 deep at the pumps.  Estimates are that 60% of the gas stations in metro Atlanta ran dry as of this afternoon.  The lady who sits next to me in the office has a brother-in-law whose mom works for a fuel company.  She called him this morning and told him to fill up their vehicles soon because it would be next Thursday before they could get another tanker anywhere.  Even if they get the pipeline back online tonight, they still don't have drivers and tankers to catch up.  It might take a few weeks before some stores in outlying areas see new tanker deliveries.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I felt the same way... until every gas station I passed yesterday and today was 5 deep at the pumps.  Estimates are that 60% of the gas stations in metro Atlanta ran dry as of this afternoon.  The lady who sits next to me in the office has a brother-in-law whose mom works for a fuel company.  She called him this morning and told him to fill up their vehicles soon because it would be next Thursday before they could get another tanker anywhere.  Even if they get the pipeline back online tonight, they still don't have drivers and tankers to catch up.  It might take a few weeks before some stores in outlying areas see new tanker deliveries.

I’m retired and Jim works from home so it’s easy for me to not drive much.   But if he was working at the office, It would be a different story.  I’m flying to Punta Gorda two weeks from tomorrow so I might not be such a wise ### then. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Up about a dollar a gallon here.   $3.29 when I drove down the road today.  And no, I’m not running to the gas station to top off because I’m not crazy.   

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

$3.09 at local Quickee Mart. I’ll go there off hours when people are going ape stuff at Costco or Sheetz to save pennies. Probably save more by not sitting in line with the engine running.

"The total cost of owning and operating the average car falls between 35 cents per mile and 65 cents per mile over the lifetime of the car."

With this in mind, I will not drive 24 miles round trip to Costco to save $.10/ gallon when that 24 miles is costing $12 based on .50/mile costs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Probably save more by not sitting in line with the engine running.

I read decades ago that anytime you're stopped for about 25 seconds or more, turn off the engine.  Guess it's less than that.     https://www.edf.org/attention-drivers-turn-your-idling-engines

So, if you're going to be in a line of several vehicles waiting to do something (gas, drive up windows, etc.), don't move up until you have to.  Like if a vehicle is going to be stuck in the street.  Moving up one spot, whenever the vehicle in front of you moves,  is also a waste.  How many of you who use drive through car washes actually turn off the engine while going through in neutral?  Hmmmm?  Since around the 80's, there's no need to go outside to warm up your vehicle.  You're coming out a warm building, wearing clothing, and the vehicle will be giving heat within a mile or so.  As long as you're driving within the local speed limits, the engine will be fine.

If one of the DCP threads goes off track a little about water savings, get back to me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I read decades ago that anytime you're stopped for about 25 seconds or more, turn off the engine.  Guess it's less than that.     https://www.edf.org/attention-drivers-turn-your-idling-engines

So, if you're going to be in a line of several vehicles waiting to do something (gas, drive up windows, etc.), don't move up until you have to.  Like if a vehicle is going to be stuck in the street.  Moving up one spot, whenever the vehicle in front of you moves,  is also a waste.  How many of you who use drive through car washes actually turn off the engine while going through in neutral?  Hmmmm?  Since around the 80's, there's no need to go outside to warm up your vehicle.  You're coming out a warm building, wearing clothing, and the vehicle will be giving heat within a mile or so.  As long as you're driving within the local speed limits, the engine will be fine.

If one of the DCP threads goes off track a little about water savings, get back to me.

My car turns off when I’m stopped and turns on when I go.  It took some getting used to.