Inflation, fuel costs, Oh My!

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Sounds like you have hybrid.

Not necessarily. I have had three different cars since 2016. All of them had the automatic engine shut-off at red lights, stop and go traffic, car washes, etc. All of them have been 100% gasoline engines. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

The current situation with the Colonial Pipeline shutdown is immediately impacting gas availability in the southeast and mid-Atlantic. That should certainly resolve itself by July, but gas prices were already creeping upward. It looks like with increased demand this summer combined with the underlying inflationary pressure that is emerging will have a negative impact on everyone’s travel plans. 

i don't think so, and here's why:

pent up demand to go anywhere, somewhere, just to get away. The fed will take the foot off the pedal on easing to help tamp it down, and let's face it, finally the underlying tensions out there are coming through and impacting a way too hot for way too long stock market. It'll actually help housing because home  prices are too heated, and the bidding wars are pricing people out.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Continental said:

I find it interesting that gas prices are going up so much considering that during the pandemic the use of fuel has decreased.
-Airlines have cut routes dramatically.
-The Cruise Ship industry on pause.
-People working from home has reduced travel to/from work.
Now that people are expected to go out and about much more, we see such high increases.
Isn't there still a lot of oil in reserve at the moment?
Is this an industry taking advantage of the situation to make up for lost profits during the past year?
I've also suspected that the auto industry's increased development of EV vehicles is going to be met with higher fuel costs due to less demand from ICE vehicles. 

yes to the highlighted

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Not necessarily. I have had three different cars since 2016. All of them had the automatic engine shut-off at red lights, stop and go traffic, car washes, etc. All of them have been 100% gasoline engines. 

mine has it too. it freaked me out at first now i barely notice it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't think so, and here's why:

pent up demand to go anywhere, somewhere, just to get away. The fed will take the foot off the pedal on easing to help tamp it down, and let's face it, finally the underlying tensions out there are coming through and impacting a way too hot for way too long stock market. It'll actually help housing because home  prices are too heated, and the bidding wars are pricing people out.

I believe the demand to travel will increase significantly but will the supply of gas be there to meet it? I dunno. If the supply isn’t there, the price of gas will increase.

Yes the Fed could raise interest rates to cool the velocity of money and thus ease inflationary pressure but that means the price of borrowing will go up which will ripple through all sectors of the economy including the stock and bonds markets  

That's my half sober, unencumbered by the thought process, shoot from the Lazy Boy layman's hip analysis and I’m sticking to it, at least until I’m totally sober, and shown the error of my ways (which I concede is likely).

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Not knowing about these changes tells yeah how old my car is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I believe the demand to travel will increase significantly but will the supply of gas be there to meet it? I dunno. If the supply isn’t there, the price of gas will increase.

Yes the Fed could raise interest rates to cool the velocity of money and thus ease inflationary pressure but that means the price of borrowing will go up which will ripple through all sectors of the economy including the stock and bonds markets  

That's my half sober, unencumbered by the thought process, shoot from the Lazy Boy layman's hip analysis and I’m sticking to it, at least until I’m totally sober, and shown the error of my ways (which I concede is likely).

I know a few people who bought RVs during the pandemic and traveled to national parks last summer.   My doctor did.  I imagine it might get a little scary now with the gas prices. 😳

• Like 2