Inflation, fuel costs, Oh My!

On 5/13/2021 at 12:30 AM, Jurassic Lancer said:

I believe the demand to travel will increase significantly but will the supply of gas be there to meet it? I dunno. If the supply isn’t there, the price of gas will increase.

Yes the Fed could raise interest rates to cool the velocity of money and thus ease inflationary pressure but that means the price of borrowing will go up which will ripple through all sectors of the economy including the stock and bonds markets  

That's my half sober, unencumbered by the thought process, shoot from the Lazy Boy layman's hip analysis and I’m sticking to it, at least until I’m totally sober, and shown the error of my ways (which I concede is likely).

there are millions of barrels sitting there waiting to be used. they don't want to tap the reserve because then prices would go down. 

and notice i said fed could ease, because keeping too much easy money out there leads to other issues...think 2008. sadly the economy is too wrapped up in what Wall Street does, which isn't really the end all be all of every day life. And then you get panic selling like in 08. Read Too Big To Fail, and you'll see in many ways we are starting to approach that same issue. Housing gets most of the blame for 08, but in reality it was basing everything on Wall Street, and clearly we never got the right regulations in place and many of the good ones were upended the last few years

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 11:17 AM, MikeD said:

I thought all cars have to have that feature now, with an option to turn it off.

unless this is a 2021 rule, no. My 2020 Hyundai Sonata does not do that

On 5/14/2021 at 9:50 PM, Jeff Ream said:

there are millions of barrels sitting there waiting to be used. they don't want to tap the reserve because then prices would go down. 

and notice i said fed could ease, because keeping too much easy money out there leads to other issues...think 2008. sadly the economy is too wrapped up in what Wall Street does, which isn't really the end all be all of every day life. And then you get panic selling like in 08. Read Too Big To Fail, and you'll see in many ways we are starting to approach that same issue. Housing gets most of the blame for 08, but in reality it was basing everything on Wall Street, and clearly we never got the right regulations in place and many of the good ones were upended the last few years

Because it's a short term issue that will resolve. Two weeks from now it's history. And this issue had nothing to do with supply. It's was about delivery. Using reserves would have not solved supplying it. 

Edited by DFA1970

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Because it's a short term issue that will resolve. Two weeks from now it's history. And this issue had nothing to do with supply. It's was about delivery. Using reserves would have not solved supplying it. 

Are we to pretend nothing actually happened! Colonial Pipeline paid the hackers nearly $5 million in ransom. I guess we will have to wait and see what the next extortion and cyber attack will be. Now get on those buses  kids, toot those horns, beat those drums and twirl those flags, we got fuel to burn. 

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Are we to pretend nothing actually happened! Colonial Pipeline paid the hackers nearly $5 million in ransom. I guess we will have to wait and see what the next extortion and cyber attack will be. Now get on those buses  kids, toot those horns, beat those drums and twirl those flags, we got fuel to burn. 

Yup; the hackers are winning the 'ransomware' war.  I think companies can even take out insurance that will pay the ransom if their systems are attacked & locked?  

:soapbox: :grrr: 

26 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Yup; the hackers are winning the 'ransomware' war.  I think companies can even take out insurance that will pay the ransom if their systems are attacked & locked?  

:soapbox: :grrr: 

I wonder how much the owners would pay if DCP forums were attacked & locked?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder how much the owners would pay if DCP forums were attacked & locked?

I think safely stored backups would make any effort pointless (at least on a site like DCP).

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1