Inflation, fuel costs, Oh My!

On 5/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

They believe what they want to believe.... annnnnd that’s as far as it gets.... Annnnd that’s as far as I can go without getting a timeout or closing the thread. (Worked with a few and 😫)

I hear it. There are seriously tons of people who believe the Holocaust never happened. The Moon landing was all made up. Covid is all a govt conspiracy and to top it off some people who were dying in the hospitals of Covid 19 didn't believe they were sick from Covid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/18/2021 at 9:15 AM, Continental said:

You know, when it comes to prices it doesn't matter what people say.  Someone will raise them, people will accept them and they will become acceptable.  If prices reduce a bit, people will go crazy thinking they saved.   How quickly they forget original prices from just a few months prior.  

I am now paying close to $10 for a 6 roll of paper towel that is manufactured in the city I live in.  Toilet paper is just as bad (also manufactured where I live).

How does this relate to Drum Corps?  Imagine I am on a corps bus and I have slept with my head against a bus window.  I now have bus head (the imprint of the window on my hair - I'm not sure if that is a universal term).  However, I cannot see outside the window because I had gel in my hair which has now covered the window.  

What do I use to clean the window?  Windex (equivalent brand) and paper towel.  

But now paper towel is more expensive!

Will the price of paper towel affect touring this summer more than the price of gas?

Pro tip...buy your paper goods at either Costco or Sam's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/13/2021 at 9:07 AM, Terri Schehr said:

I read somewhere that this auto stop function wears out engine components. 🤷‍♀️

Nope, the engineers took that into account and "beefed up" the solenoid and the starter accordingly.  I do find the feature annoying and contributing to a feeling of lack of control over the vehicle.  But then I feel the same about automatic transmissions!  I drive a 6 speed manual.😉

34 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Nope, the engineers took that into account and "beefed up" the solenoid and the starter accordingly. 

Not exactly.

I'm in the process of buying a new car.

The issue of how the auto stop function affects an engine's components was a big concern of mine.

What I found out was that different vehicles use different technologies.

They go from a basic "beefed up" starter. solenoid, to something called a Denso Starter.

From everything I read, and found out from the mechanics at dealerships, auto stop/start doesn't do all that much for fuel economy.

They all said , no matter how much better the starter or solenoid are,

the less stops/starts, the better for the engine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, Continental said:

With the success of their drive-in Bingo operations and their decision to not come out to Indianapolis this year, Blue Devils will save enough money to buy their own gas company and not have to worry about the price of fuel. 

And, Buy another CHampionship! I keed, I keed!

On 5/20/2021 at 3:04 PM, rpbobcat said:

Not exactly.

I'm in the process of buying a new car.

The issue of how the auto stop function affects an engine's components was a big concern of mine.

What I found out was that different vehicles use different technologies.

They go from a basic "beefed up" starter. solenoid, to something called a Denso Starter.

From everything I read, and found out from the mechanics at dealerships, auto stop/start doesn't do all that much for fuel economy.

They all said , no matter how much better the starter or solenoid are,

the less stops/starts, the better for the engine.

Listening to mechanics at a dealership is like believing everything you see on the internet - self serving  on their part.  BTW, a Denso starter is just a starter made by Denso, a japanese company.  They are very good heavy duty starters.  In practice, the less COLD starts/stops the better for the engine.  There is no difference for a warm engine though, but there IS a difference in fuel savings.

Edited by Bob P.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Listening to mechanics at a dealership is like believing everything you see on the internet - self serving  on their part.  BTW, a Denso starter is just a starter made by Denso, a japanese company.  They are very good heavy duty starters.  in practice, the less COLD starts/stops the better for the engine.  There is not difference for a warm engine though.

Denso is the only parts I use on my Toyota.  A little more expensive but great products! 

16 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Denso is the only parts I use on my Toyota.  A little more expensive but great products! 

Denso parts are also used in BMW cars, for ex. air conditioner compressor and alternator.  

• Like 1