DCI Spotlight of the Week: 2000 Cadets

You know my cocky a$$ had to make a thread about this...

Discuss. 

https://www.dci.org/news/spotlight-of-the-week-2000-cadets?fbclid=IwAR3x48-lXzJMDpxleVZWRFMGWZywNBEVFu0NB7xJVLBbAhdRllZQSqtoluY

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Thank you.

The way top scores were announced in 2000 made things worse.

Why not just announce there was another tie for first?  But no, it was left up the audience to figure out in an instance that there was a tie.  "Receiving the gold medals...."

Edited by Continental

I've told this story before, but will happily revisit it.  2000 was the only San Antonio show I ever attended from the upper deck.  On the bright side, you could see the drill very clearly, but the music wasn't as face-peeling.  Anyways, Cadets win, and set up for their encore, which in this case consisted of ... just the drum breaks/closer.  As soon as it became clear what they were doing, there was a massive rush from the crowd up top down to the railing so everyone could get a better view of the battery.  I've never seen that before or since.

And, apologies to Cavaliers, I have no idea how there was a tie.  Cadets were by far superior across the board that year.  (Cavs more than made up for it later though.)

Mike

As I've said in other threads, I was skeptical about Bb horns.  I had been to championships the 2 years previous, and though for sure that Bb would never be able to capture what I loved about G. 

What did it take to make me realize I was hopelessly incorrect?

The first big hit of Cadets 2000.  POWER!  

And the "anything you can do better..." section is something that should be auto posted on here whenever anybody asks about what to show dci noobs.  

21 hours ago, Lance said:

As I've said in other threads, I was skeptical about Bb horns.  I had been to championships the 2 years previous, and though for sure that Bb would never be able to capture what I loved about G. 

What did it take to make me realize I was hopelessly incorrect?

The first big hit of Cadets 2000.  POWER!  

And the "anything you can do better..." section is something that should be auto posted on here whenever anybody asks about what to show dci noobs.  

I'll never forget that moment...especially the camera flashes. 

• Like 3

On 5/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, Continental said:

Thank you.

The way top scores were announced in 2000 made things worse.

Why not just announce there was another tie for first?  But no, it was left up the audience to figure out in an instance that there was a tie.  "Receiving the gold medals...."

Begs a question - did DCI have enough gold medals to pass out to members of both Corps?  Or did a bunch of members have to wait until more were made?

(I am assuming that the medals had the year somewhere on them? If not then it would be a lot easier to have enough medals on hand).