Bluecoats 2021 show announcement

5 hours ago, Continental said:

At first I thought it might be this Lucy.

5730758_localish-LSH1413-CHARLIEBROWN-KG

This occurred to me as well.  Also, there is the famous fossilized human ancestor known as 'Lucy', supposedly named because 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' was playing on the radio when she was discovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Australopithecus)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Good for Bluecoats!!! Entertain the Fans!!! Don't get into the same old crap every other corps does where you don't recognize the music!

Yeah, because high school band kids who comprise an overwhelming majority of fans for sure recognize the music of The Beatles.  Can't get them to stop listening to and talking about The Beatles in my classroom.  Got a really good example of hyperbole from one of my seniors that said "I'd rather get dipped in acid than listen to The Beetles (sic)". Oh, and you should hear them talk about how much they listen to albums by Don Sebesky, Wynton Marsalis, and Frank Zappa.  

There are literally hundreds of thousands of great pieces of music that any random person wouldn't recognize, including me.  I love it when great arrangers find them and get them on the field for me to hear, but I guess I'm weird.  To be clear, Thrower has been one of the best at this.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Yeah, because high school band kids who comprise an overwhelming majority of fans for sure recognize the music of The Beatles.  Can't get them to stop listening to and talking about The Beatles in my classroom.  Got a really good example of hyperbole from one of my seniors that said "I'd rather get dipped in acid than listen to The Beetles (sic)". Oh, and you should hear them talk about how much they listen to albums by Don Sebesky, Wynton Marsalis, and Frank Zappa.  

There are literally hundreds of thousands of great pieces of music that any random person wouldn't recognize, including me.  I love it when great arrangers find them and get them on the field for me to hear, but I guess I'm weird. 

Lol.... my boss was lot older than his wife and I was a few years older than mine. Get the four of us together and say “Paul McCartney”. The guys would say “Beatles” and women would say “Wings”. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm...

Not sure I care about this one all that much.  I'm definitely looking forward to some good 'filler' drumcorps this season while things crank up again for the following year.

This just feels so much like the SCV Phantom of the Opera back to back shtick in the late 80's.  A sort of... "well let's try that again" sort of move.

Obviously this is not the same thing, but it just has that vibe.  And to be honest, they pretty well maxed out as much Beatles as I think I want to see in drumcorps in '19.

Was hoping for something more 'cute' in a different direction.  Perhaps they payed big for Beatles rights and they want to make good on the investment?

I will reserve any hard judgment though.  My Bluecoats have never failed to surprise me.

7 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Where us the celebration that we didn't have to wait until the first show, August 1st, for the program announcement? 😄

You know, I thought about that as well.  They are usually one of the last corps to announce their show.

I think one year they waited until August 10th.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lance said:

There are literally hundreds of thousands of great pieces of music that any random person wouldn't recognize, including me.  I love it when great arrangers find them and get them on the field for me to hear, but I guess I'm weird. 

Yeah. I’m in my mid 20s and could not care less about the Beatles and their music. Just did not grow up in a household that listened to very much American music in general so all the music I listened to growing up was influenced by my peers in school, and they certainly did not listen to music from the 70s and 80s, let alone the 60s where the Beatles did their work. 

im with you though, I would much rather a drum corps introduce me to music I’ve never heard of before or attempt to fuse old with new. Bluecoats typically do a good job of that. I just don’t see the appeal in ANOTHER Beatles show.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lance said:

There are literally hundreds of thousands of great pieces of music that any random person wouldn't recognize, including me.  I love it when great arrangers find them and get them on the field for me to hear, but I guess I'm weird.  To be clear, Thrower has been one of the best at this.  

Do your students ever mention their love for Jethro Tull?

23 minutes ago, Continental said:

Do your students ever mention their love for Jethro Tull?

At a show and while getting ready heard a non top Jr corps start “Aqualung” with a kick butt contra intro. After that.... kinda went downhill... Then again I’ve been known to be.... thick as a brick...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

At a show and while getting ready heard a non top Jr corps start “Aqualung” with a kick butt contra intro. After that.... kinda went downhill... Then again I’ve been known to be.... thick as a brick...

Very thick. 

• Haha 2

TONIGHT (5/19)

Join us live tonight on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube at 7:30 ET. Artistic Director Jon Vanderkolff, Program Coordinator Dean Westman, and CEO Mike Scott will discuss the launch of Lucy and give a behind-the-scenes look at our plans for the production and the pre-season!

...There might even be time for some questions!

• Like 1