Bluecoats 2021 show announcement

46 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Its all new music though from Lennon/ McCartney that the Bluecoats will be doing. Different from the songs played 2 years ago from it appears. Lets see what they do with it. Phantom Regiment brought back Spartacus from when they did shows on that theme before, and won a DCI Title with it in 2008. This month, Phantom Regiment brought back their 2003 show " Harmonic Journey", and so far the marchers and alums seem pleased with that choice. The marchers of today were either not yet born in 2003, or were in diapers, so for them and their peer group, this is new to them as well. So lets sit back and see what all these corps that chose to produce shows for us have. I'd imagine, they'll be a good mix of something borrowed, something new.

I get where you’re going and I agree whole heartedly from the new member standpoint….but the paying audience has “been there done that”. Let’s hope these “new takes” challenge both the marching members and the audience as well. Bring on DCI 2021!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 8:23 PM, Sutasaurus said:

I get where you’re going and I agree whole heartedly from the new member standpoint….but the paying audience has “been there done that”. Let’s hope these “new takes” challenge both the marching members and the audience as well. Bring on DCI 2021!

Good point. Most fans I believe want to see something new and fresh . I actually am optimistic that Bluecoats will do so with their show here the end of the month. On the other hand, if its not, no big deal, imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

Good point. Most fans I believe want to see something new and fresh . I actually am optimistic that Bluecoats will do so with their show here the end of the month. On the other hand, if its not, no big deal, imo.

It’s a fresh show. If you think of 2019 as act one of a play, 2020 as the longest intermission ever, then 2021 is act two. I don’t think many people think after act 1, Hamilton had nothing more to say; act two completed the play. Try thinking of Lucy that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

just to echo some other great points in here about the beatles, look at a song ike blackbird, and think of how many great covers/interpretations by other great artists/producers this song has gone through.  or a song like something, which sinatra covered in a completely different way that was mega popular for a whole other generation.  

some of the beatles best recorded performances are arrangements that differ wildly from the album versions.  

obviously I'm a fan, but i didn't really discover the beatles until my mid 20s, sorry to say.  

these are different pieces from 2019, and like i said, tons of beatles songs are great for good arrangers to play with and interpret in new ways. looking forward to this exhibition.   

• Like 3

Did people whinge this badly when Santa Clara Vanguard came out with Phantom of the Opera again in 1989?

It's a new show and different pieces.  Let it be.

• Like 2