Bluecoats 2021 show announcement

8 hours ago, hostrauser said:

That truly is a puzzler. No drum corps has ever made an on-field murder a central part of their shows for numerous years in a row. :whistle:

I Am...oh never mind

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Have you seen the movie?   Spartacus-style stabbing is one thing; beating a woman to death with a large sculpture of male genitalia is quite another.   

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

There’s something about that I find intriguing 🧐 

I had to google "genitalia".  I'm only familiar with the street term.  :whistle::spitting:  

34 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s horrifying and let’s leave it at that.  

It’s on my list of “movies I never want to watch”. Speed dvr’ing parts of “Birth of a Nation” is as low as I’ll go. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yes.  But also critical to the plot, as is the earlier attack (on the writer & his wife).  And with an awesome soundtrack (Beethoven, Rossini, Purcell, Elgar, Brown/Freed).  

It is one of those movies that impact on several levels.  The story is simple, yet complex.  It is horrifying, but makes one think about what is free will?   What if free will is in conflict with societal norms?  It is a deeply affecting story.  Would make for an excellent show (& perhaps introduce the most unique guard equipment in DCI history).  But will never happen.

BUT - 

This is a supposed to be a Bluecoats discussion.  So, do you think that any snippets of the 2019 music or visual program will be integrated into the 2021 production for 'tradition' sake?  I understand that 2021 is a new production.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I cannot tolerate violence in movies and I used to be someone who could watch horror films which would scare me, but I was unaffected.  That was then. 

When you experience violence in life it changes you.

In July 1991 my landlady was the victim of a disgruntled ex-tenant who had an axe and took his revenge on her in the lobby of my apartment building. The police left the effects after her body was removed.  They do not have anything to do with crime scene clean-up.  It was worse than any horror film I have ever seen. 

To this day, I just cannot stomach anything that approaches what can really happen.  That includes movies like Saving Private Ryan where the beginning on the beach is horrifying. 

I'm sorry, I am unable to separate movies from what I experienced.  While Phantom death shows have been much less graphic than anything remotely possible, I still would prefer a show like 2010.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes.  But also critical to the plot, as is the earlier attack (on the writer & his wife).  And with an awesome soundtrack (Beethoven, Rossini, Purcell, Elgar, Brown/Freed).  

It is one of those movies that impact on several levels.  The story is simple, yet complex.  It is horrifying, but makes one think about what is free will?   What if free will is in conflict with societal norms?  It is a deeply affecting story.  

Just to stay O.T. a bit longer.

This was one of the books we read in a literature class I took in college.

The professor was really into the book and movie.

A couple of interesting things about the book(s) movie:

1.Although set in a futuristic society,it was written about 

U.S. soldiers stationed in Britain in WW 2.

2.The movie was based on the U.S. version of the book .

Not the original British version. 

The U.S. version  did not include the last chapter.

That chapter had Alex "maturing" and recognizing the faults with his earlier 

life.

Never found out the reason for a U.S. and British version.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, Sutasaurus said:

Okay. In the short attention span theater we live in, why not try something new?

Its all new music though from Lennon/ McCartney that the Bluecoats will be doing. Different from the songs played 2 years ago from it appears. Lets see what they do with it. Phantom Regiment brought back Spartacus from when they did shows on that theme before, and won a DCI Title with it in 2008. This month, Phantom Regiment brought back their 2003 show " Harmonic Journey", and so far the marchers and alums seem pleased with that choice. The marchers of today were either not yet born in 2003, or were in diapers, so for them and their peer group, this is new to them as well. So lets sit back and see what all these corps that chose to produce shows for us have. I'd imagine, they'll be a good mix of something borrowed, something new.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2