My Opinion

Going to say this here.....

Drum corps misses The Empire Statesmen!!!!

Every year the corps ENTERTAINED the FANS!!! I mean this in both DCI and DCA too.  I was never a member of the Statesmen and was a loyal Rochester Crusaders member for a few years. Every year the Statesmen made sure that the audience left humming their songs.

Today, probably The Bluecoats are the only corps that entertains the audience.

DCI corps would be wise to read a how to manual by Vince Bruni, if there was/is one.

Just my opinion

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

Going to say this here.....

Drum corps misses The Empire Statesmen!!!!

Every year the corps ENTERTAINED the FANS!!! I mean this in both DCI and DCA too.  I was never a member of the Statesmen and was a loyal Rochester Crusaders member for a few years. Every year the Statesmen made sure that the audience left humming their songs.

Today, probably The Bluecoats are the only corps that entertains the audience.

DCI corps would be wise to read a how to manual by Vince Bruni, if there was/is one.

Just my opinion

There were only a handful of corps at DCA finals I truly wanted to watch . Statesman was one of them . 

Im glad they stood ground and decided to leave the way they did . 

Definitely put DCA on a major decline after that . 

entertainment is in the eyes of the beer holder. many corps entertain me at all levels. Now they don't all feature screamers or tunes every fan knows, but they entertain me nonetheless.

but Empire is missed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just my tuppence- not in any order, I miss Les Metro, Les Cascasdares, L'Odysee, Les Ambassadeurs, Quebec corps thinking out of the box and presenting fresh and exciting ideas for their eras.

I miss the Brigs. maybe not totally fresh, but edgy enough to suit me.

One corps ran themselves aground off the field, though I enjoyed their content as a fan. I'm mixed about missing them.

MBI, I definitely miss. A different flavor then the Bucs but well thought out, imaginative, well put together, and wonderfully performed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Just my tuppence- not in any order, I miss Les Metro, Les Cascasdares, L'Odysee, Les Ambassadeurs, Quebec corps thinking out of the box and presenting fresh and exciting ideas for their eras.

One corps ran themselves aground off the field, though I enjoyed their content as a fan. I'm mixed about missing them.

MBI, I definitely miss. A different flavor then the Bucs but well thought out, imaginative, well put together, and wonderfully performed.

Let’s throw Matadors in there too. Funny part is some of my favorite shows of theirs they didn’t place that well In Finals. Kind of like oh the hell with scores let’s entertain. 

8 hours ago, BigW said:

so many long gone DCA corps I miss...and MBI leads the pack, followed y Empire. agree with you on the French Canadian corps...always trying new things. I miss the Yankee Rebels and of course my old team the Westshoremen...Brigs, matadors....Cru, Steel, Team Evil

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Let’s throw Matadors in there too. Funny part is some of my favorite shows of theirs they didn’t place that well In Finals. Kind of like oh the hell with scores let’s entertain. 

YES. My parents were fond of them, especially Dad.

• Like 1

Empire Statesmen, Matadors, Minnesota Brass... the three I miss the most. 

My definition of "entertaining" has always been "I would pay to see that show again." Those three corps fit that definition, for me. 

Edited by Fran Haring

9 hours ago, BigW said:

Without Steel, I'd never had the chance to ever eventually really meet Sandy and Hair Bear, Jeff. I was thinking of Steel as well especially in that way. I greatly value that.

Three SCA memories:

Carlisle playing “Stormy Weather” just as the heavens opened up. 

Number where there was a drum interlude and whole corps shouted “STEEL”. Crowd just went nuts… miss those moments.

First(?) show at Forum standstill. Corps started a loud fanfare then DM pointed to back of the Forum. Sop player (who no one noticed from the seats) was back there and left out a screamer.