Jump to content

My Opinion


Recommended Posts

I discovered the "Brothers" watching Steel in 1985 rehearsing at my old HS practice field for the Lewistown, PA DCA contest (NOT Lewisburg for those who get confused).

 

They blew me away, the energy, intensity, groove, musicality, they were like a nuclear reactor with the rods pulled all the way out. Still just shake my head and smile thinking of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigW said:

I discovered the "Brothers" watching Steel in 1985 rehearsing at my old HS practice field for the Lewistown, PA DCA contest (NOT Lewisburg for those who get confused).

 

They blew me away, the energy, intensity, groove, musicality, they were like a nuclear reactor with the rods pulled all the way out. Still just shake my head and smile thinking of that.

So do we, every time someone mentions our good years.

The Brothers were awesome from our vantage point too.  Intense, intimidating, "Hill savvy", and probably the most approachable, protective and fun group of guys you could ever hope to meet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JohnZ said:

So do we, every time someone mentions our good years.

The Brothers were awesome from our vantage point too.  Intense, intimidating, "Hill savvy", and probably the most approachable, protective and fun group of guys you could ever hope to meet.

The Brothers, Bear, and Kevin Luster coming in to Shore in 95 ( and yes I know most were there other years) took Westshore to the next level when it comes to groove. Without them...95 and 96 don't end up the way they did. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Empire Statesmen, Matadors, Minnesota Brass... the three I miss the most. 

My definition of "entertaining" has always been "I would pay to see that show again." Those three corps fit that definition, for me. 

 

If that's your criteria would you pay to See Matadors 77 again?  i know I sure as hell would!

19 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Empire Statesmen, Matadors, Minnesota Brass... the three I miss the most. 

My definition of "entertaining" has always been "I would pay to see that show again." Those three corps fit that definition, for me. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bucbari said:

If that's your criteria would you pay to See Matadors 77 again?  i know I sure as hell would!

 

Sure you remember how low the stands were at Danville. People on bottom row had their feet resting on ground level. We were second row (IOW bell level) and big push at end of Rodeo (opening number) came at the stands with sop screamers right in front of us. 😳 one of my top three unforgettable corps moments

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bucbari said:

If that's your criteria would you pay to See Matadors 77 again?  i know I sure as hell would!

 

Heck yeah!!! IMO the most entertaining corps in DCA that year. Their Madison Square Garden performance in '77... they almost tore the roof off the place. And great people, too!

Edited by Fran Haring
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sure you remember how low the stands were at Danville. People on bottom row had their feet resting on ground level. We were second row (IOW bell level) and big push at end of Rodeo (opening number) came at the stands with sop screamers right in front of us. 😳 one of my top three unforgettable corps moments

There's a video of Matadors' 1977 DCA Prelims performance out there (YouTube, I think... and it's a bit jumpy in spots). It's everything that DCA was/is supposed to be about... hugely entertaining, quality corps, and the "star power" of Jim Centerino and Ritchee Price. Plus a great visual design by Bobby Hoffman. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

There's a video of Matadors' 1977 DCA Prelims performance out there (YouTube, I think... and it's a bit jumpy in spots). It's everything that DCA was/is supposed to be about... hugely entertaining, quality corps, and the "star power" of Jim Centerino and Ritchee Price. Plus a great visual design by Bobby Hoffman. 

Have seen that a few times. Also 1978 Finals which is a little dark with the night lighting but wow…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...