Celebration Preview

17 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Based on what DCI came up with for the preview,I'm not so sure.

I really don't know how much objective research DCI  does on anything.

From what I've read here, and on other  boards,when DCI followed the "rerun" format for their start of the season broadcasts,they  weren't well attended.

That changed when they started showing a live "Season Opener".

As I posted,I find it hard to believe that DCI feels they will get a bigger theater audience showing reruns then live 2021 performances, especially since Indy will be the only place where all the corps will perform.

Given the limited movie releases this year,DCI may also have the opportunity to show either Friday or Saturday night.

DCI is touting Saturday night as a kick off for 2022.

Seems that a live theater broadcast would be a great way to get fans psyched for that.

who said DCI did the research? Plus they also have to consider the deal with Flo. that will play a part in any live broadcast decisions on other mediums

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

who said DCI did the research? Plus they also have to consider the deal with Flo. that will play a part in any live broadcast decisions on other mediums

DCI is the parent organization.

So,to me ,any research they authorized is still "theirs".

I understand issues with Flo.

But,DCI has had 2 live events broadcast by Fathom,including preliminaries for years.

I would think they could do at least 1 in 2021.

Marketing 101:Get the biggest audience for your product.

In 2021 drum corps that's Fathom,not Flo.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

But,DCI has had 2 live events broadcast by Fathom,including preliminaries for years.

But I thought Flo was streamed in 'millions up on millions' of US households.  :whistle:  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

But I thought Flo was streamed in 'millions up on millions' of US households.  :whistle:  

Lol some watching sports, some watching color guard, some watching cheer leading(?), some watching corps, some watching MB, some watching who knows what... 

And probably a bunch dropping out after the season is over for what they watch....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2021 at 6:58 AM, rpbobcat said:

As I posted,I find it hard to believe that DCI feels they will get a bigger theater audience showing reruns then live 2021 performances, especially since Indy will be the only place where all the corps will perform.

Given the limited movie releases this year,DCI may also have the opportunity to show either Friday or Saturday night.

DCI is touting Saturday night as a kick off for 2022.

Seems that a live theater broadcast would be a great way to get fans psyched for that.

A live broadcast would be nice, but my guess is that movie theaters will most likely not want a niche show like drum corps in their theaters on a prime weekend date. I don't see any Fathom events on a Friday or Saturday, actually.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Fathom is the conduit. They are the access to the theaters. i believe they'd trust themselves over DCI

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, Terri Schehr said:

So is this just old stuff? I don’t think I’d be interested.   I saw it the first time in person. 

Agree. To pay to see shows that I’ve already seen, what’s the point? Also, behind the scenes with kids who aren’t even marching anymore…uh ok. I guess your plan is to draw only people who marched years earlier.

Nah, sorry.

I get it. Regardless of who fronts the cost, there is a tremendous up front cost to producing a live event on a football field. At this point would they even be able to get a promoter for the ticketed event itself? Could they pay to get a half dozen headline corps to that site in a month from now? 

Unfortunately, it takes a lot of planning to pull of a live event of any kind. Hundreds of people are involved behind the scenes, to say nothing of the talent on the field. DCI would have had to assume the risk the event being cancelled due to Covid had they begun planning this far enough in advance to make it happen. And around that time, Blue Devils, Crown and SCV were announcing they weren’t going to perform this fall.

Huge risk that DCI clearly wasn’t able to take.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

So, I went to the three closest venues that will be showing the DCI "Celebration Countdown" event.  I'm concerned because some colleagues have complained that with past events the sound wasn't loud enough & the broadcast feed went black several times.  Do I really want to spend $20+ per ticket & then my wife will have to have concessions, etc. (potential to spend $80-100)  😬 😁

I went to the website to select your own seats & the venues only seat about 100-115?  I haven't been to the "movie" theater in probably 20-25 years, but I guess the new venues are all smaller?  I have a large screen TV & projector in my basement with surround sound, subwoofer, etc.  I also have popcorn that runs about $.30 per bag & sodas @$.75 each.  (Can't believe I'm talking about prices; I am getting old...)

FYI: tix went on sale yesterday but to date, none have been sold at any of the venues.  I wonder about their attendance; I'm sure as summer rehearsals crank up, band directors will start pushing the event even though it falls during our first band camp week.    🤔      

#MarchOn

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Agree. To pay to see shows that I’ve already seen, what’s the point? Also, behind the scenes with kids who aren’t even marching anymore…uh ok. 

Maybe it’s me but is there interest with the behind the scenes stuff? To me it’s been there in Sr corps, done that and zzzzz to watch someone else do it. Especially when it’s talk talk and watching same few seconds of drill being done over and over...

Bought bunch of CDs at an auction last year and included was a dvd of behind the scenes with Cadets. Must have be a gift to donors. Still haven’t had the urge to look at it.